Webcam screen all black

cdelory

I have installed a plug and play webcam on my xp pro computer and device manager says it is working but I only get a black screen.
I followed the post on this topic and renewed the usb root hubs but it didn't help and the webcam works on a laptop so I assume the problem is with the xp driver.
Following the post re Identifying your webcam etc. I find the ids are:
USB\Vid_1e4e&Pid_0102&Rev_0101&MI_00
USB\Vid_1e4e&Pid_0102&MI_00
USB\Vid_1e4e&Pid_0102
And while I can find the second one on Google I can't download it from any of the sites.
I end up with a driver search that says the existing driver is current.
Where do I go from here?

"I have installed a plug and play webcam"...

What is the make and model of this webcam? Is it USB?

Yes it is a USB webcam and it loaded first as a USB composite device and then as a USB Video device.
I can see the webcam through control panel/scanners & cameras but the screen is all black.

Once again, What is the make and model of this webcam? We need this info to find the proper software if any...

I don't know as there is no indication on the either the unit nor on the package.
Is there any way can I find out?

XS cargo.
And I exchanged it when the first one didn't work but this one does the same thing.
However it works fine on my laptop.
I notice that device manager shows the usb composite device manufacturer as OWC but it shows the USB video device as Microsoft even though they are the same unit.

"However it works fine on my laptop"...

This tells me that you have a program on the desktop that is causing the webcam not to function. Do you have any Windows Live programs installed? What program are you trying to use this webcam with? Are you in Canada?

No I do not have windows live and want to use the webcam with skype but it can't find it.
And Yes I am in Surrey BC, Canada.

Well I ran it and you had me worried for a while as the computer refused to shut down.
However after a half hour I cut the power and eventually it booted OK but with no change to the webcam.
As for any previous webcam I can't really say as I bought the computer used some years ago but this is the only one I have installed.

What version of Windows is installed? You do have some issues with this computer that will need more attention

XP pro Ver 5.1 sp3
And it sometimes takes forever to boot up but when I first got it some years back it was good and fast.

Can you re-install Windows fresh? Do you have a Windows install disk or a restore function on the desktop?

I don't have the windows disc but I have found windows restore.
However it only seems to have restored the status for the last week but will try restoring to the earliest one tomorrow when I will have some free time.

Well I ran restore to the earliest date and it screwed up my anti-virus so had to finally remove that and re-install it.
But still no improvement in the webcam output. Screen still black and Skype can't find it.

I was talking about a "factory restore" not a Windows restore point. You need to have Windows installed fresh

FYI.
After all that playing around my webcam now works on Skype but I still can't see a picture through Control panel/scanners & cameras.

" I still can't see a picture through Control panel/scanners & cameras"...
Windows is not designed to do that from Scanners and Cameras, but programs like Windows Live Messenger should work

"" I still can't see a picture through Control panel/scanners & cameras"...
Windows is not designed to do that from Scanners and Cameras, but programs like Windows Live Messenger should work"

Correction - although the device will appear under My Computer - yes, it is designed to work that way.

I bought this same hardware id cam off of amazon the first two ids match PERFECTLY from original posters post.
hardware ids: USB\VID_1E4E&PID_0102&REV_0101&MI_00
USB\VID_1E4E&PID_0102&MI_00

no third id shows up as im using 7 64 bit it does install and recognise it as a composide usb 2.0 camera
I need to find actual drivers irregardless of the language(I can convert them to english)
its a sweet cam for a little over a buck but sound is a seperate plug(I wont use its mic) and image is slow.

any ideas on where to find oem drivers as none ever come with this device.

You really don't need separate drivers for it. Windows should detect it, when it is plugged in

Thats not the issue. it installs perfectly its just that having 6 brighter than day leds in your face 24/7 is lol. I unplugged it for now but is there a way to turn them on and off as needed or have it detect the light(they have security cam freeware on a site I went to) and turn the leds on when they are actually needed. they arent infrared as it was stated. I did find programs but id also like to obtain a similar prog.(freeware) thatd work similar to my logitech quickcam messenger software. that cam is not 7 compatable though:( so I got this one and like I said before for the price its a damn good bargain lol. another side question would be if theres an adaptor avail. that I can use to plug the usb as well as the headphone style jack for the mic into and convert both into a single usb plug so I can utilize its mic?.

Oh and the cam does have a volume control knob on the cord which is a neat feature. if I do it the logical way well as we all know 7 dosent like to support multiple inputs/outputs in refrence to digital versus analog. my speakers are digital(SPDIF) and I have a mic into the back mic in port already.

Back