Website creation

fimbles

I have been thinking about creating a small home business lately and was considering setting up a website of some sort.
Looking around the internet has left me confused because of the choice of different software and methods used to do this.

I would prefer to host the site on my own computer rather than a "free" hosting company. with a view to paid hosting if things go well.

I am aware of windows internet information services, apache,windows server 2008 and linux versions, but am unsure if which is the correct/popular application to use?

Which server and website content creation software I should use/ begin with please?

I would prefer to host the site on my own computer rather than a "free" hosting company. with a view to paid hosting if things go well.
that is understandable, but you run into issues on the EULA from your ISP which typically will block inbound port 80 which is required by the webserver software

I am aware of windows internet information services, apache,windows server 2008 and linux versions, but am unsure if which is the correct/popular application to use?
imo, depends upon which platform you have skills in software development
(notice:- NOT the same as a desktop{Mac, Linux, Windows} experience).

*IF* you get to the point of moving to a hosting solution (ie paid), then I would recommend you focus on Linux services like Apache2, PHP, Perl, MySQL as few hosting solutions support Windows IIS

Which server and website content creation software I should use/ begin with please?
That's a learning curve question. I prefer RAW files (ie write it all line by line) which means I can change whatever at will.
Other tools can generate a page, but then even the slightest modification requires another complete re-generation

Had a quick look through virgin media EULA and it seems they are ok with port 80. which was nice :) .. and thanks for the tip.

Done a little more research and most people seem to agree with you that apache 2 is the way to go.

As for content creation, I have the trial version of dreamweaver cs6 and am slowly working my way through the tutorials, I must admit I am struggling with the learning curve!

I have no chance at line by line html, just struggling to learn design mode, though I am using split screen so some code may sink in.. hopefully...

Any suggestions on something a little easier?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm of the opinion that you have no idea what you're doing. Which is fine, I'm not mocking you, but you have a couple choices now:
1. Continue trying to play with CS6 and learning HTML.
2. Host on your own computer.
3. Purchase a domain, hosting, and create web page with a free service like Wordpress.

I think option 3 is your best bet. I simply do not see how you will ever make 1 & 2 work - and if you do, how much time did you waste..?

Back