Weekend Open Forum: Do you exercise regularly?

Jos

Staff

Sitting in front of a computer for several hours a day can be very taxing on your body. Of course, a lot of people with sedentary jobs probably don’t have much of a choice, but at least you should make sure you keep a good posture and take short breaks every hour or so. Some claim that using a standing desk has done wonders for them — but that’s a topic for another discussion.

It’s also a good idea to get some actual exercise done every now and then and that’s precisely what we want to ask you about today: Do you exercise regularly? Tell us about any gadget you use to assist your fitness routine (think Fitbit, Nike FuelBand, etc.) 

Also, for those of you into sports, what sports do you actually practice, and which ones you just follow from the comfort of your couch?

Permalink to story.

I walk every day and in the summer swim every day. The weight never comes off tho. I like the Wii's handheld device and have never seen Playstation's or Kinect in action, but I think they give good exercise too. Not like watching tv/movies.

I run local trails and lift weights. The only gadget I use is my iPhone - the default note app to record stuff in the gym and an app called RunKeeper to track my running.

I play football (soccer for the US crowd) on Mondays and try to go out for a ~5K jog or jump the rope for 20 minutes a couple of times a week. I thought about getting a Fitbit to keep track of my workouts but I'm afraid after the novelty passes in a month or so I won't use it anymore :) I do use RunKeeper on the iPhone, though.

I do a lot of nature walks with my camera photographing the local wildlife. I also do an equal amount of bike riding.

Yes free weights, light cardio, stretching, and still find time to sit in front of the pc a couple hours each night after work to feed my brain.

lucky u
waiting for CS16 tablet version
until that im just developing my a$$ 12h/day
for the record - playing table-tenis 1h/weakly - just to get in my own sauce

Depends on what time of the year. During school soccer season, I play soccer for 1.5 hours a day, every week day, and during the club season the same, but usually 3-4 days a week. During the sumer, though, all I do is go cycling or play soccer or ultimate frisbee about once a week.

I ride a bike anywhere from 30 to 45 miles a week, occasionally an easy 30 mile ride on the weekend. I've gotten a bit back into running recently, but I bike far more often than I run. I use a garmin gps watch and strava.com to track things.

Yeah. I run a bit. Probably about 180-190km per week.... oh yeah, I'm going to the London Olympics to run the marathon for Australia. Don't believe me, check out www.jeffreyhunt.com.au

Sorry, I just had to put a comment. :)

Gotta train for the APFT... PT can get mundane if you do it the Army way, but I have tried other ways. Seems I like weights for strength and ellipticals for cardio.

Since leaving the military , ( self explanatory by my nickname..), I'm a personal trainer.. so yeah I don't really have a time when I'm NOT being physical, anaerobic or otherwise.

I work on a farm so I get a fair amount of exercise at my job. However, My only other hobby besides computers is exercise. Free weights and running with a little swimming every now and then.
Plus lack of processed American food works wonders for the body.
I also watch what I eat pretty closely. I find that it makes my time spend exercising more profitable and my time at work easier.

As far as sports go...I went to a very small highschool where I was the star at several sports. I got to college and realized I actually sucked so I gave up sports for weightlifting. I dont really follow any sports on television other than motorsports.

I like playing sports more than anything else for exercising... soccer, tennis and most recently beach volleyball are my favorite sports. Before I had a biking accident and subsequent surgery I was playing beach volley a few times a week and soccer/tennis more sporadically. Hope I can go back to that routine soon.

I usually exercise with my fork and spoon; to be honest I make this kind of exercises all day long.
cheers

I don't get anywhere near enough, but I'm also limited to what I can do due to severe back damage and the subsequent pain it causes. That said, I'm finally getting into a position where I'm managing that better with painkillers so I can get out a bit more and get some exercise, which of course always helps with the weight. lol.

I try to eat sensibly these days (cut a lot of crap out of my diet in the last year or so) and walk at least a little bit when I'm able to, but otherwise, that's about it.

Yeah! I love working out! Admittedly its hard to pull myself away from my computer sometimes, but once the adrenaline starts its not hard to keep going. A lot of people would probably be really surprised how easy it is to stay in great shape with a little exercise and eating right.

Back