Weekend Open Forum: What are your most anticipated video game releases for holiday 2014?

Justin Kahn

open forum

Well its November again, and many of the biggest yearly game releases are about to drop. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare has already received fairly positive reviews across the board for its future tech, multiplayer customization and a surprisingly enjoyable campaign. While not someone who gravitates towards shooters, The Master Chief Collection will likely be popular and I might have to give Far Cry 4 a try. Outside of that, GTA V on newest gen consoles can wait for me (even with the first-person mode and slick looking graphics), so it looks like most of my time will be spent with AC: Unity.

The Assassin’s Creed series has certainly disappointed me in the past, as it strays further and further from the stealth game I always wanted it to become, but I’m still excited for Paris. Personally, as much fun as I had with the sea shanties, I got tired of the ship combat in Black Flag and am looking forward to the detailed interiors and enhanced maneuverability in Unity.

So for this week’s Open Forum we want to know what your most anticipated releases are for the rest of this year. With so many major titles getting pushed to early 2015, is this year’s selection a little disappointing? Has Unity’s French Revolution (WW2?) era setting captured your attention? What will you spending most of your time playing until next year’s big releases hit?

Permalink to story.

I'm looking forward to BioWare bombing on Dragon Age III. I hope they do because they have betrayed their fans with every release of a new game ever since they were bought out by EA.

The time when I was excited by the launch of a video game is long past. The crap quality and overabundance of games coming out each year sees to that. These days, it's nothing but false hype, marketing strategy, psychological profiling and moneymilking. I've had enough, thank you!

Can't say that I'm anticipating any of the remaining 2014 releases. As I see it, there is nothing new being done from a gameplay or story standpoint. Dragon Age looks like it might be interesting, but, outside of that, I don't know of anything in the pipeline that I would value at $60.

I'm looking forward to BioWare bombing on Dragon Age III. I hope they do because they have betrayed their fans with every release of a new game ever since they were bought out by EA.

On the other hand, I may pre-order Inquisition merely to spite people like this. "I don't like what Bioware does, so I hope they fail!" Such a well reasoned position.

#TrollFed

I'm looking forward to Elite: Dangerous, but I likely won't buy it (or any game) until the price drops to $20 or less.

Stay the heck away from Activision games. Just let the company wither and die.

Far Cry 4, baby! One of the few games I've ever pre-ordered. That's a series that you can count on being quality.

I was really looking forward to AC Unity because after AC Revelations there has just been absolutely nothing. AC 3 was a dead loss as far as I was concerned so I never glanced at subsequent sequels but with Ubi now trying to shovel "24 fps being great for the cinematics" and other horse dung in our faces I'm gonna take a wait and see approach now.
As for FC4, FC3 was quite fun to play but had just about the weakest and stupidest storyline I'd ever seen so I'll wait for it to hit bargain basement status before taking it into consideration.
GTA V remains the big standout but I'll have to wait until 2015 for it, not that it phases me one iota.
Of course I'm only referring to PC releases here, console gaming has no meaning to me.

Last edited:
DA Inquisition is the game I am most excited for.
Far Cry 4 is also good.
Never liked assassin's creed games.
Elite dangerous is also looking good but I am afraid that on launch it will be quite boring without many players.
GTA V PC

I really believe EA/bioware have learnt with their past mistakes on DA II. If true, DA III may prove to be one of the best games we've played in years. I have never liked assassin's creed, but this last one looks rather interesting, I will only allow myself to further my interest in it if I get a free copy with the purchase of my last gpu. Otherwise, I'll just forget about the game.

Far Cry 4, GTA5, AC: Unity :D

There's still some games out that I want but don't have on PC yet. War for the Overworld being one of them :'( and hundreds I have yet to play!

2015: THE WITCHER 3.

Most of the games I'm looking forward to have no release dates: Warhorse's Kingdom Come deliverance, lofi games' Kenshi, Ludeon Studios' Rimworld, Balcony Team's Balrum, and there is always Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord.

Far Cry 4, baby! One of the few games I've ever pre-ordered. That's a series that you can count on being quality.
Yeah I second that. My issue though is that the FC games are very similar and I don't know if paying $60 for FC4 is worth it.

Can't say that I'm anticipating any of the remaining 2014 releases. As I see it, there is nothing new being done from a gameplay or story standpoint. Dragon Age looks like it might be interesting, but, outside of that, I don't know of anything in the pipeline that I would value at $60.

On the other hand, I may pre-order Inquisition merely to spite people like this. "I don't like what Bioware does, so I hope they fail!" Such a well reasoned position.

#TrollFed

I don't like what EA does

This year, just Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age and Far Cry 4.
Forward in a unknown date:
1° Mirror's Edge 2
2° The Witcher 3: Wild Hunter
3° Dreamfall: Chapters
4° Homefront: The Revolution
5° Star Citizen

Fallout4 would be cool, just hope it don't come with sub graphics or crap characters movements.

Road Redemption. I have the beta and its kinda fun something different. I really cannot think of a single game I'm actually excited about.

Back