Weekend Open Forum: Will AI benefit humanity or could it doom us all?

midian182

Staff member

Basic forms of Artificial Intelligence have been around for decades, but the technology has moved forward in leaps and bounds during recent years. It's advancing so quickly that many are warning it could wipe humanity from the earth.

Self-aware machines that turn on their makers have long been the stuff of sci-fi, but there are those who worry the fiction could one day become fact. Elon Musk is a famous proponent of regulating AI development, having warned it is like “summoning the demon” and “more dangerous than North Korea.” Even Stephen Hawking believes thinking machines could threaten our existence.

On the flip side of the coin, however, some say modern AIs won’t advance to the point where they become malevolent entities that destroy us all; instead, they could potentially solve some of the world’s biggest problems, such as healthcare, energy, and transportation. Mark Zuckerberg is in this camp, as is former Google engineer Anthony Levandowski, who believes in AI so much that he wants it to become a god for his religion.

For this weekend open forum, we’re asking for your take on AI. Now that it can beat humans at Go and Dota2, is the next step complete domination over its squishy masters? Could it really make the world a better place to live in, addressing the issues we struggle with? Or will it continue to be primarily used as an ad tool, utilizing Facebook and browsing data to decide who might want to buy Hello Kitty bags?

Permalink to story.

Is this your attempt to get us talking about those new life-like sex dolls?
Because thats just crazy.

(Sex doll for sale PM me :D)

.ok kidding.
Or am I?

I think in a way it's already happening. Machines and computers are taking over our everyday lives. Soon, none of us will be even driving our own automobiles.

I think when it comes to our doom. It will be either nukes or cyber attacks. The more we let computers do for us, the more potential problems will occur.

Note that I am NOT a doom-and-gloom person in any way, but if someone forced me to make an educated guess that, "IF humanity was to ever die out, how and what would be the cause?"; "Ai gone wrong" would be what I would say is would be the most probable, logical, and most likely answer.

Note that I am NOT a doom-and-gloom person in any way, but if someone forced me to make an educated guess that, "IF humanity was to ever die out, how and what would be the cause?"; "Ai gone wrong" would be what I would say is would be the most probable, logical, and most likely answer.
No. Nuclear Holocaust far more likely. No electric so no water

Those of us in the tech industry know that AI is a good thing. Makes software programs do a better job and faster.

It's only sci-fi writers and sensationalist journalists who want to make it an "evil" thing. Which is actually quite entertaining, but in a goofball way.

"Will AI benefit humanity"
Just make perfect AI and forget about humanity, no more lies, no more focusing of self interest in politics and eventually no more suffering (if we manage to get rid of all the humans; no death, no hunger, no war)

" It's advancing so quickly that many are warning it could wipe humanity from the earth."
Isn't that the goal? Make "artificial" life, sacrifice humanity for greater beings (robots) and become gods (not really as we don't leave any trace after we die and can't affect anything after death, but in some philosophical sense). If for some reason we want to transfer our imperfect consciousness to the robots I hope they manage to alter us so that we won't lie or pursue meaningless goals (capitalism, religion, overall stupidness).

Just like everything else in this world, it'll have real benefits but it'll also have many pitfalls. It's up to us to decide.

It certainly depends on how we use them and how we will control them. As to the sex dolls, I'm getting to the point that I don't much care BUT if it can cook & clean and has a nice looking butt I'm all for it!

If you think H1Bs are effective at "taking" your jobs, just wait until domestic AIs can do it.

As for sex dolls that someone mentioned earlier...Those will only select out those being selected out anyways. Less competition for the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Movie from 1970 based upon the 1966 science fiction novel Colossus

A massive American defense computer, named Colossus, expands on its original nuclear defense directives to assume total control of the world and end all warfare for the good of mankind despite its creators' orders to stop.

Yall should watch that movie.

Last edited:
History will record the rise of truly independent AI as one of the darker periods in human history. It will allow dictators to monitor and repress their subjects in real time. It will displace hundreds of millions of workers within a very short period. Ultimately it will be handed control of most critical infrastructure, and its decisions may not have humanity's best interests in mind. No good ever comes from ceding your freedom and independence to a faceless, unaccountable entity.

AI is something that we understand very little about. First we have thousands of years of human behavior that is much easier to predict on a macro scale. Which makes it much easier to build in safeties. Second we don't honestly know if we are creating true AI or simply something that will be inhabited or controlled by some currently unknown force. I can think of many situations that could lead to our destruction by giving AI control over our lives.

Surrendering control of your life to anyone or anything is frankly insane.

Back