Weekend Open Forum: Your must have browser extensions

Jos

Staff

open forum

Modern browsers can add all sorts of functionality beyond their stock feature set through the use of extensions. From security enhancements, to productivity-centric tools, utilitarian plug-ins for all sorts of niches and more. But while there are a few well-known players, sifting through your browser’s catalog of extensions can get overwhelming and time consuming.

Today we want to ask: what are your must have browser extensions? Any hidden gems out there that don’t get quite the attention they deserve?

Permalink to story.

AdBlock and HTTPS Everywhere. Everyone knows about AdBlock, but HTTPS Everywhere (or HTTPS Anywhere on Firefox) is a plugin that forces encrypted sessions to websites that support SSL/TLS. Absolutely love it.

I use Firefox, my extensions:

Adblock Plus
Add to Search Bar -> Fast and easy way to create your own custom search providers
Double Click Closes Tab -> Self explanatory (I use double right click)
Enhanced Steam -> Self explanatory
Hola Better Internet -> VPN, to avoid getting gouged on digital game prices
Undo Closed Tabs Buton -> Self explanatory
YouTube Center -> Enhances the YouTube experience (auto HD, auto pause videos, easy download, etc.)

For people who shop online, camelizer and invisibleHand are both great. You can get the past price of the product and the cheapest online price without having to do anything.

Privacy Badger -> Forcefully block cookies & domains (By EFF)
HTTPS Everywhere -> Force HTTPS As much as possible (by EFF)
Disconnect -> Block Tracking objects, advertising, etc
uBlock -> Lightweight Advertising Filter
Stylish -> Cosmetic tweaks to customize sites

Lastpass, Turn off the lights and User Agent Switcher. Firebug was a must-have but since switching to Chrome a couple of years ago, the built-in inspect element is simply better.

Chrome to Phone: Click the button in the top right of your browser and it opens whatever webpage you have open on your PC, on your phones chrome right away.

AdBlock Plus has been officially replaced with uBlock, it's much better.

Stop posting bulls**t.

Firefox must-haves include:

Adblock Plus
Add BookMark Here
Classic Theme Restorer
Ghostery
Lazarus Form Recovery
LiveClick
HTTPS Everywhere
Self-Destructing Cookies
MaskMe
Place's Full Titles 4
Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar

My Chrome extensions right now:

Adguard - Adblock
Checker Plus for Gmail - webmail
Downloadr - to get rid of the horrible download bar
EagleGet Downloader - for multithreaded downloading
Magic Actions for Youtube - can't live without it
smartUp Gestures - Newly discovered, clean gestures and super drag. Testing it, works great.
Undirect - Hate those Google tracking links and redirects
ZenMate Security & Privacy VPN - awesome VPN.

AdBlock, RSS Feed Reader, AdBlock, Ghostery, AdBlock, AVG DNT, AdBlock, Save To Google Drive, AdBlock, Send Link With Gmail, AdBlock.
I hope I didn't forget to mention mention AdBlock as well? I couldn't live without it. :D
I wouldn't waste my time with ABP, that things a sham, you can still get a ton of ad's no matter how you set it up.

Last edited:
The following are not on Chrome - so I stick with Firefox
Saved Password Editor
Master Password Timeout (makes Saving Passwords secure)

I am using on my Firefox:

LastPass - password manager
Adblock Plus - blocks adverts
WOT - shows warnings on scam/phishing/fraudalent websites, based on Web of Trust, where users rate/flag inappropriate websites
Privacy Badger Firefox- blocks tracking cookies
NoScript - blocks javascript and other objects by default on all websites, you add whitelists to it so you can browse websites you trust
FireGestures - mouse gestures to open/close tab, go to next tab, etc, very useful :)
Calomel SSL Validation - checks SSL certificate of website and shows warning if something is wrong with it
Lightbeam - new amazing addon from Mozilla Foundation, to visualize a tree-structure of third party websites who track you. (link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lightbeam/

With this set of add-ons I am much feeling better on Internet. And also, I don't have Java or Flash at all.

Cheers!

Adblock edge - similar to adblockplus but without the merciful "allow-non-intrusive-ad mode"
flashgot - for quickly saving youtube videos or using download manager
anonymox - free proxy for sites that says "your IP has been banned"

prefer not running too much extension on my firefox.

I only use uBlock and Disconnect right now. Adblock and Plus version are getting paid by Google, MS etc... to let their ads pass through, so what's the point of using them then?

I know we shouldn't all use adblock, but did you ever see the internet without it? Try to explain to my mother how to use it that way, and as my sight is failing it is hard to determine where to click to get rid of some ads. And the viruses you get. It's mostly google's fault for the viruses as they run double click, etc. I got one the other day that played a recording telling me to call a number to disinfect. I think I got it thru adove flash.

Back