Weekend tech reading: Diablo III, Cataclysm, HotS detailed

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Blizzcon 2010 news roundup Blizzard's gigantic annual fan conference, Blizzcon, just took place on the 22nd and 23rd of October – and out of it (besides the live performances, insane costuming and playable demos) came a whole lot of news about Blizzard's upcoming games. Gaming Till Disconnected

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Win2K Fix On a related note, our server guru, Per has managed to hack the latest version of WoW to run on Windows 2000. Yes, it's an old OS but a solid one at that, so if you've ever hit a wall trying to couple those two together, here's a fix.

Google leads charge to dismiss Paul Allen's 'scattershot' lawsuit Paul Allen vs. the Internet, the Internet is joining forces to fight back. The online giants sued for patent infringement by the Microsoft co-founder in August have quietly aligned in an early bid to derail the litigation -- contending that the suit doesn't adequately back up its claims that they're running afoul of approaches pioneered by Allen's defunct Interval Research. TechFlash

Netflix testing $7.99 and $8.99 streaming-only plans in US right now When CEO Reed Hastings called Netflix "primarily a streaming company that also offers DVD-by-mail," he wasn't messing around, as the company's quietly made streaming-only plans a reality on US shores. Strangely enough, however, it seems the firm hasn't quite decided how much the new plan should cost, as depending on which computer and web browser you use to navigate Netflix's website you'll see a different result Engadget

Prosecutors seek to block Xbox hacking pioneer from mod-chip trial Want a live tutorial on how to hack an Xbox by the guy who actually wrote the book on it? If so, you should plan to attend what likely will be the nation's first federal jury trial of a defendant accused of jailbreaking Xbox 360s—installing mod chips that allow the console to run pirated or home-brew games and applications. Ars Technica

Microsoft puts PC game downloads in the browser Microsoft wants to let PC gamers know it's still serious about delivering game software and is putting that idea to the test with a new system that places fewer roadblocks in the way of getting gamers connected to digital game downloads. Today, the company is announcing a new online store that will let gamers buy digital copies of games--old and new--from just their browser. CNET

Permalink to story.

Cataclysm is looking pretty sweet, I decided not to play any on the beta this year so I can experience it all on release. IMO Blizzard has done such an amazing job with the great lineup of games they produce and I'm sure ill be playing their games for several more years.

I was a little disappointed with the announcements from Blizzcon this year. I was hoping for at least an announcement of their new MMO project or a little more on Diablo 3. The new cataclysm expansion does look very good and not that far away.

I hear ya, I really wanted to make it to Blizzcon this year but couldnt due to work. I've heard from several others that it wasnt as good this year due to the lack of announcements.

Cataclysm is enough to make me come back after not playing for 3 months. Between it and everyone else I know coming back should be a fun.

Maybe its just me, but I didnt see anything about Heart of the Swarm (HotS)?
On a side note, Blizzard is making a Left 4 Dead, Bejeweled, and DotA knockoff for SC2 (called Left 2 Die, Starjeweled, and Blizzard DotA respectively) and some other ones.

kaonis92 said:
Another life-wasting WoW update for the masses...Congrats to people for making them wealthy.
only life-wasting if you make it that way, im just a casual player as I have a family and work and all that stuff. only play about 4-6 hours a week and its relaxing for me.

"World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Win2K Fix On a related note, our server guru, Per has managed to hack the latest version of WoW to run on Windows 2000. Yes, it's an old OS but a solid one at that, so if you've ever hit a wall trying to couple those two together, here's a fix. "

Why would anyone want to run video games on windows 2000? Or better yet why would anyone want to even run windows 2000? Upgrade to windows 7 already!

I gamed on Windows 2K for years and never had any issues. I moved to Vista and I hated it. WIN 7 made me a believer again. Upgrade to WIN 7

titobxny said:
I gamed on Windows 2K for years and never had any issues. I moved to Vista and I hated it. WIN 7 made me a believer again. Upgrade to WIN 7

Oh, just re activated my WoW account and liking 4.0 changes. Unfortunately, I can't raid for 5 hrs a night anymore. I

MIcrosoft PC Games from the browser, wow, what a good idea... or at least it would be if GoG.com hadn't already done it really well. I'm thinking this is why they're looking at this more seriously, possibly due to GoG (Good Old Games) success. That aside, I think it could work for them if they follow GoG's model and how they do it. I've purchased quite a few games from GoG and love the service.

titobxny said:
titobxny said:

Oh, just re activated my WoW account and liking 4.0 changes. Unfortunately, I can't raid for 5 hrs a night anymore. I

DONT GO BACK , wow is such a life controlling game i use to be exactly like you raid 5 hours a night, 4 times a week + farming and instances etc etc etc, just uninstall game and go do something else.

Diablo 3 is the one I have been waiting most eagerly for. Is there an actual release date for it yet?

I must say, Diablo is looking like it might actually hold my attention for longer than a couple of weeks. Can't wait for the PVP, and more importantly, a game that isn't rebalanced every week due to PVP imbalances.

the article fooled me, i did not see where D3 was mentioned in the articles... been waiting for it for years now

Ah ha! Never even knew that Microsoft had their own digital download game site. No wonder i couldn't find Gears of War for PC anywhere.

frodough said:
the article fooled me, i did not see where D3 was mentioned in the articles... been waiting for it for years now

There's a four or five paragraph overview in the very first link.

Diablo 3 is going to AMAZING! I have been waiting for a long time...and will continue to wait. The videos on the new Demon Hunter class look pretty cool too. Youtube it.

Back