Weekend tech reading: Intel's 14nm Skylake CPUs, rigging Steam's sale event, AMD vs. Nvidia today

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

intel skylake cpus steam amd nvidia

More details on Skylake processors Next year Intel is expected to introduce Skylake, a completely new x86 microarchitecture, fabricated on 14 nm technology. Skylake CPus will have a number of improvements, the most major ones being DDR4 memory support and beefed up graphics unit. Two weeks ago we reported on features of integrated Skylake graphics, and now we have some insight on memory support and TDP of future processors. The information is more than a month old, but we believe that most of it still holds true. CPU-World

How the internet tried to rig the Steam Summer Adventure, and how Valve is trying to stop them A few days ago, members of the Steam community schemed to rig the Steam Summer Adventurecompetition, a metagame running in parallel with Valve’s 12-day Summer Sale. Surprisingly, it wasn’t the sort of malicious plan you might expect, but a kind of cease-fire alliance meant to bring equal victory to everyone on Steam. As intended, Team Pink won Sunday. Blue won Monday. Purple will win next, if things go smoothly. PC Gamer

Edward Snowden's lawyer will keep your secrets In a Jesuit church hall at Georgetown University in April, a crowd gathers to listen to enemies of the state. The law school has invited half a dozen whistleblowers to speak, including the headliner, Daniel Ellsberg. In 1971, Ellsberg leaked The New York Times a copy of a secret Department of Defense war assessment, documents that came to be known as the Pentagon Papers. Seated in a semicircle behind him are whistleblowers formerly of nearly every other government agency with secrets to keep... The Verge

College recruiting gamers as athletes The idea came to Kurt Melcher, not surprisingly, when he was online searching for video games. Melcher is associate athletic director at Robert Morris University, a Chicago-based university that gives out 1,400 athletic and activity scholarships across its 10 Illinois campuses as a way of recruiting and retaining students. But it occurred to him that one sport, rapidly growing in popularity, was missing from the scholarship roster. Chicago Tribune (also, Dota 2 prize fund now over $10 million)

Meet the Eve Online creator who CCP left behind Thorolfur Beck has enjoyed -- or perhaps we should say endured -- an intriguing career trajectory. He's been a global ambassador for kids TV phenomenon LazyTown, laboured on a Reykjavik building site, produced Iceland's 2006 Eurovision Song Contest entry and spent six months working in a psychiatric hospital. We should add that all these disparate entries on his CV come after his five-year stint as Eve Online's very first lead designer. Eurogamer

Facebook manipulated 689,003 users' emotions for science Facebook is the best human research lab ever. There's no need to get experiment participants to sign pesky consent forms as they've already agreed to the site's data use policy. A team of Facebook data scientists are constantly coming up with new ways to study human behavior through the social network. When the team releases papers about what it's learned from us, we often learn surprising things about Facebook... Forbes (the research)

Why software builds fail Software builds -- that is, compiling programs into machine executable code -- is an important part of most developers' lives. When builds fail, due to compilation errors, it requires programmers to take extra time and brainpower to find and fix the problem, reducing their productivity. A better understanding of the cause of frequent software build errors, then, could help lead to new or improved development tools that would reduce these errors and increase developer output. ITworld

The mythology behind the names Kaveri and Beema To most of the Western world, the name Kaveri is eponymous with AMD’s third-generation APUs. However, the name has its roots in the Indian mythology, where Kaveri is portrayed as a goddess. Similarly, Beema, the codename for AMD’s mobile APUs, is taken from Bhima, one of the fiercest warriors in the Mahabharata. VR-Zone

Why AMD and Nvidia are fighting AMD and Nvidia are at it again. The two reigning champs in the market for video game graphics have been fighting since late last month when some performance issues on the PC version of Watch Dogs kicked up a fresh controversy. And given that AMD is still talking about the issue publicly, it doesn't look like things are going to settle down anytime soon. Kotaku

Linux gaming: An upward trend Several months back, I was contemplating the state of Linux Gaming and the platform and judging from several indicators, I thought there were many good signs to make 2014 another promising year. We are now at the end June, and it's time to take a fresh look at the situation again. PandoraLive (also, Mint 17 is the perfect place for Linux-ers to wait out Ubuntu uncertainty)

Flying -- and crashing -- a $1,300 quadcopter drone The Dunning-Kruger effect: a bias wherein unskilled persons mistakenly overestimate their ability to accomplish a given task. After buzzing DJI's Phantom 2 Vision+ quadcopter drone around my driveway for about two minutes, I'm pretty sure I was its walking embodiment. Ars Technica

Don't want Google in your house? Some home-tech startups to watch Google's thirst for connected-home products means that entrepreneurs in the growing sector have another deep-pocketed competitor to outfox. But they've also got a new sales pitch: We're not Google. Xconomy

Why use www? This page is intended for webmasters who are looking for information about whether or not to use www in their canonical web site URLs. First, a bit of terminology. The domain name without www is sometimes referred to as anaked domain, and I'll refer to it as such here. Yes WWW

Permalink to story.

FB manipulated feeds to see how the nature of content impacted users' emotions. Did Zuckerberg come up with this idea? Marketers and politicians have been aware of this relationship for centuries.

To end on a positive note, I'll extend a happy 4th of July to you folks ahead of time. Especially any Brits. (y)

I knew Steam sales were rigged. Red won too many times by too much of a margin.
red team member here. did not won any free games though.

Pink team here, I suppose that is only fitting as I usually play a female character. :eek:
:)

FB manipulated feeds to see how the nature of content impacted users' emotions. Did Zuckerberg come up with this idea? Marketers and politicians have been aware of this relationship for centuries.

To end on a positive note, I'll extend a happy 4th of July to you folks ahead of time. Especially any Brits. (y)
:)
g.w. bush to t. blair: "thank you friend!"
(in recognizance of great Britain's support in the u.s. war on terror, Iraq invasion phase)

...[ ]...To end on a positive note, I'll extend a happy 4th of July to you folks ahead of time. Especially any Brits. (y)
Well, that was pretty tasteless...:eek: (Pay me no mind, I'm just mad because you beat me to it).

....[ ]....g.w. bush to t. blair: "thank you friend!"
(in recognizance of great Britain's support in the u.s. war on terror, Iraq invasion phase)
I've always believed that if "Wubba" was a Kennedy, they'd have kept him in an attic where he belonged, and Rose Kennedy, would have redoubled her efforts toward fighting mental retardation.

And yet, the president who, (at one point (?)), achieved the lowest approval rating in our history, somehow managed to make Tony Blair his bit*h.

Last edited:
And yet, the president who, (at one point (?)), achieved the lowest approval rating in our history, somehow managed to make Tony Blair his bit*h.
The two standout reasons for that might be:
Blair's public school upbringing - maybe just a little too used to fagging, or (conspiracy theory 101) maybe Bush was a degree (or more) higher at the lodge.

I knew Steam sales were rigged. Red won too many times by too much of a margin.
I went from owning 0-games as brand new to the medium to 68-games and I was on Red Team. Granted, there are millions of us participating in this and my number hardly moves the needle, but my guess is any team would've benefited in comparison with like of my situation on their squad...

Back