Weird CPU fan problem, new build

Hiya all, Happy New Year:)

Okay, this is my first home build and I'm a little stuck.
So far my build is complete but on power up the CPU fan spins then stops and I get the usual CPU fan failure message.
At the moment this is with the original cooler (I have another) fitted, to work out if it was the fan or mobo I plugged my second one in but didn't mount it, switched on and away it span.

I mount this one and power on, nothing. It just sits there while my CPU cooks up.
I do the same as before this time with the original and as before it spins up without problem but now get the CPU fail message again?????
My second fan is Arctic coolings Freezer Pro7 Rev.2
Am I missing something???

My system

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO mobo
8GB Kingston DDR3
AMD 1055T black 3.2GHz
WD 1TB hard drive
HAF X Full tower case
CORSAIR TX850
NZXT Fan Controller (not connected yet)
SONY DVD drive (connected at the moment)
I've not fitted the graphics card yet and only have the bare essentials plugged in.

Don't really want to blow anything up just yet, there's no OS installed just the main BIOS so far, any thoughts???

Let's start with the simple. Are you plugging it in the right connector, "CPU Fan" and not "Chassis fan"? Did you put the MOBO on standoffs or were they built into the case?

The stand offs came separate and followed the destructions on where to place them in the case so it's spaced off, yep I'm using the correct 4-pin plug and socket
Just tried having a look at the BIOS fan settings to see of changing those might make a difference, think the thermal kill switch kicked in. Just waiting for it to cool down again before making sure it's not fried. I really hope it's not

The stand offs came separate and followed the destructions on where to place them in the case so it's spaced off, yep I'm using the correct 4-pin plug and socket
Just tried having a look at the BIOS fan settings to see of changing those might make a difference, think the thermal kill switch kicked in. Just waiting for it to cool down again before making sure it's not fried. I really hope it's not

Try plugging the cooler fan into another socket.

If you plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin pwm socket the fan controll won't work, it has to be a 4 pin pwm fan otherwise the fan will just spin at full speed constantly. If your cooler is a 4 pin pwm fan it will still run off a 3 pin fan slot just without pwm control. If it works on another fan socket than most likely it is a faulty CPU fan socket.

If you have messed with a bunch of settings I recommend resetting the CMOS and flashing the BIOS with a downloaded copy of the newest firmware (Do not let BIOS download from server, manually do it!!). This way we can start from square one. The motherboards need to have a fan plugged to the CPU header or else the error message comes up. This can be turned off in BIOS.

Found the problem, with the original fan cooler plug it appears when the terminals were fitted two were flattened down so not making contact. Good job I've a multimeter or I'd never looked. with the connector fitted and the probes touching the rear of the fans power leads they were O Cct. Switched off and had a look, simple eh. I'm just surprised to find that on a brand new cooler, the problem with my other one is I think it runs too slowly so you get those annoying beeps. Now I've got a fan running with no problems, just need to figure out why it won't boot from cd now, sheesh. If I'd been told it was this difficult to build one I wouldn't have bothered.

Thanks for all the help so far anyway, it was much appreciated

Did you load all the drivers from the MOBO disk? You need to intsall the chipset, LAN, USB, drivers, etc...

At the time it was a bare system, just the BIOS. Found one of my SATA cables was dodgy which meant the mobo didn't see the dvd drive, got a new one and all is well, everything installed with no problems, it's quite cool too, I've got a temp sensor as close to the cpu as I can (it's sitting between the cooling vanes) reading 29 degrees steady, only went up to 40 when I was playing games on FB, really happy with it at the moment.
Just need to figure out which fans I can safely run on my controller without the dreaded beeps.

Thanks for all the help I've received, *hugs*

Back