Weird Green Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I don't know if anyone can help. When running video in certain instances I get these weird green checked squares - especially over black areas of the screen. A strange example of this is I can stream video fine within the normal in You Tube, but the checkerboard pattern occurs when I enlarge or full-screen it.

Any ideas?

(I can't post a screenshot as I don't have a high enough post count yet)

I am using a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with NVIDEA GeForce 8600MGT grpahics card.

Thanks

this is dead videochip. if your laptop is warranty covered, take it to service-centre. if not, you can only replace mb, or replace videochip, if you have equipment.

Only with Videos?

This can happen if the Video file is damaged, if so it will breakup at the same place in the video each time.

If the above is not true then...

I would consider installing the latest Video drivers from Dell especially if they are newer than you have. Or if the same reinstall.

Mike

yes i would not automaticaly assume that your chip is dead how often does it happen have you tried

playing a dvd in widescreen check the dark areas to see if you get the same result. Is it an aftermarket

graphic card or did it come with the system if aftermarket i would diag taht use dxdiag from run menu

it

will run you through all the basic video tests choose display from the menu and let it work its magic.

remember youtube video is not the best quality if you have firefox get video download helper grab the video and test it on a stand alone player like media player classic (K-Lit mega codec pack)
keep us updated XD

Try playing the video windowed and then again full-screen. If the green blocks move and resize with the video then I would suggest that the file is corrupt.

This is often seen when you download a file and there are errors that were non-correctable or also on DVD's with small scratches, however it is quite likely to occur on YouTube or any any other video sites too.

mflynn, you should know, that if you'd play videofile, the codec uses videomemory for frame buffer and possibilities of videochip. also, you should know, that 86xx,84xx series of nvidia chips(g86-770-a2,g86-630-a2) is very fulnerable to overheating, and thus, it dies exactly this way.

Doh!

Yes I do, but I don't assume that without first considering the many other software/driver/malware plus more, things that could be the cause first!

Mike

i don't know any malware/software issues, which cause such things. anyway, it'd be better if the thread starter upload some photos of this mess.

no - this can be a lot of things.

1. Bad codec and video file is not being decoded correctly - could be a bad file as well

2. bad, corrupt, or outdated video driver

3. bad video chip (least likely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back