Weird Issue with RPC over http setup in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posting this here in case anybody else has any ideas. I am configuring a script to setup Outlook 2003 on first login using a .prf file. I am setting it up to work with an RPC over Https client I got all of that working fine. To get this to work we need to go through a proxy in order to get through the firewalls correctly.

The issue I am having involves the proxy settings in internet explorer. If I leave the bypass proxy for local address option unchecked, the setup works as I expect and we have the whole thing done in under 45 seconds. If I check that bypass proxy option the setup takes over 4 minutes eventually timing out. If I rerun it again manually it eventually finished configuring itself. The issue is we need to leave the Bypass option on for other programs to work correctly.

I have seen reports of this before with Microsoft in this knowledge base article here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331320

That sounds very much like the symptoms I am having the only issue is I am on XP Sp3 and that patch was added in Service pack 2 so I cannot install it here. It seems to be almost like a timeout issues, like the setup tries and connects to the local exchange server through a non RPC connection and we need to wait for it to timeout after 3 minutes or so before it tries the RPC connection to connect to it.

Has anybody experienced this before or does anybody have any ideas on this? If I figure it out I will be sure to post the answer here if the answer has not already been posted. I have been racking my head about this a good part of the day, think I will head home and sleep on it for now, thanks in advance for any insight into this matter.

Doesn't really matter if they're important or not! If you can't make them work, it's still a problem!

Here is the patch you're looking for:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F6-3D95-496E-8DF4-13D8F38715FA&displaylang=en

You mention that you can't use it because "it was added in SP2." Even though you now have SP3 and technically speaking the patch "should be" on the system already, since the problem exists, I suggest you give the patch a try and see if it resolves the problem. This is just the patch, not the entire SP.

IF that has no effect, since you're using Windows XP, try checking the Event Viewer. You'll be looking for a persistent Warning before you finally connect. There should be a pattern of this. Normally I ignore the Warnings because if they don't resolve, they will become an Error.

But in your case, we are looking for a cause of the delay.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock at the time of the delay.

Doesn't really matter if they're important or not! If you can't make them work, it's still a problem!

Here is the patch you're looking for:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F6-3D95-496E-8DF4-13D8F38715FA&displaylang=en

You mention that you can't use it because "it was added in SP2." Even though you now have SP3 and technically speaking the patch "should be" on the system already, since the problem exists, I suggest you give the patch a try and see if it resolves the problem. This is just the patch, not the entire SP.

IF that has no effect, since you're using Windows XP, try checking the Event Viewer. You'll be looking for a persistent Warning before you finally connect. There should be a pattern of this. Normally I ignore the Warnings because if they don't resolve, they will become an Error.

But in your case, we are looking for a cause of the delay.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock at the time of the delay.

Yes I has tried just the patch but ti refused to let me apply it to a Service Pack 3 XP unit.

I looked through the event log and did not see any sort of errors or any warnings at all, in fact it matched up a successful profile build outside of takng three times as long. I was hoping it would tell me something. I will keep playing and looking through logs to see if I can see where the delay is. Since it only happens when the Bypass proxy for local address is selected I can only assume it is trying to connect with the OWA connection outside the proxy at first and then switching over to the Proxy.

I did not think it would even consider this a local address, it is entered in as https:\\outlook.yadda.com in the exchange setup and even the exchange name has the full name with domain and everything so I would not consider that a local address either. I have a few other ides I will play with.

Sorry it took so long to get back, we where rebuilding labs and also I was working on a few other things this week, this is the first time I got to get back to playing with this again. It really is not a showstopper but it is one of those things that I would love to get figured out just for the heck of it now.

miso_, a favor please- you don't need to quote the reply- especially if it's a long one. When I get the feedback in my email, I have to go through the whole thing before I can read "your" reply! The post is available to you if you need it for reference, just move up the page.

I thought sure you would see the pattern of warnings before the connection went through. Since you did not, it makes me think that maybe the server is causing the problem.

I have only one suggestion, but it's a bit on the drastic side. You OS with SP3 thinks you have everything issued in SP3- and you might- but for some reason it didn't get through, the only way I know would be to uninstall SP3, d/l and install the patch, then reinstall SP3.

Like I said- drastic! It doesn't want to bypass the proxy- why? I don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back