Western Digital Drive Freezes Transfer Process

I have a Western Digital drive and it keeps freezing the transfer process around 15 seconds remaining. I am trying to transfer my movie files to it. The files are around 750 megs to 2.5 gigs each. I am trying to do them one at a time. I have got it to transfer about 3 movies to the device. When the transfer locks I have to turn off the computer and turn it back on to get it to stop. Its I think a 110 gig external.

Some details you have left out.
Age of PC
Desktop or Laptop
How much RAM?
Single, Dual or Quad or high CPU.
Size of HDD
What source are you using to transfer file to the HDD?
Are you using a network LAN?
Speed of the LAN 10, 100, 10000?

When you do this type of work make sure the PC doesn't go to sleep and keep an eye on it.
Make sure the HDD doesn't have any bad blocks do a check disk (CHKDSK C: /F
Make sure the HDD is de-fragmented
Make sure the HDD has done quick or full optimized (use ULTRA DEFRAG FREE)
Make sure the system is cleaned using JetClean Free

The condition of the HDD is very important also the source your transferring from too it.

PC is 3 years old.
All-in-one Desktop
4 Gigs of RAM
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245e Processor
HDD is 111 Gigs
Not using a source I am just dragging the file in the file folder to the HDD drive. I have the drive plugged up with the USB cable.
Internet is runnig at 54 mps over Wifi.
CHKDSK on the HDD says:
1172118240 kb disk space
6262364 kb in 11 files
20 kb in 14 indexes
0 kb in bad sectors
70296 kb in use with system
65536 kb occupied by the log file

I would defrag the HDD but the drive does not show up as a option. It does this in the defrag program on the computer and on the Ultra Defrag program

Ultra Defrag reads USB HDD. I use mine on it. That's odd you have issue with USB HDD? Download a program called USBDVIEW run that as admin. See how many disconnection errors you get for USB. Your issue might with with the USB then.

I finally figured out how to make it show on the Defrag program last night. I formatted the drive and ran the Defrag program. I got 2 moves loaded to the HDD but I can't add anymore. The transfer process keeps locking at like 15 percent to 1 percent. I also brought the drive up to my work and the work computer will not read it. Do you think there is something wrong with the HDD? I will try to run the USBVIEW program when I get home. When I plug it to my work computer I hear the computer recognize the HDD but it never shows up under my computer.

What OS is on this PC? Also the only way the work PC will read the HDD if you put in a USB hub for HDD or put in USB HDD case. These can be tricky to get to work on other PC. Work PC on domain with security in place might be locked down by the image use.

XP on the work computer. Work computer is not that important. I brought it home and went to Device Manager under Computer properties. I changed how my computer sends info to the device where you have to umount the drive from my computer. I was able to add more videos. I unmounted the device and plugged to my USB on my TV and it was able to play the movies fine. Now I hooked it up to my PC it does not show up. I went back to the device under Device Manger and clicked on the drive and is says "This device is disabled. (Code 22) Click Enable Device to enable this device. " I clicked to enable and it doesn't work.

Sounds like the drive is old and dying. 3 years old desktop and 111GB drive doesn't sound right though. Sounds a little low for a PC that "old".

Edit: all in one... hmmm guess that might change things a bit but still don't know why the disk is so small...

Sounds like the HDD was 120GB for it to show up as 111GB the computer HDD 700GB. Either case something is giving on you. Run HDTUNE Free on both drives and see what the health readings show for both. Write/Read speed on these type of drivers are going to be slow compare to what we have today with larger cache buffers. USB is much faster than it was when it first came. Old HDD will slow down. That's why with Ultra Defrag you could use Full Optimize method that will take forever to move the block cluster around. Thus making Read/Writes seem faster.

Wow your work PC still on XP. They're getting their money worth out of that OS.

Back