Western Digital outs 1TB set-top box for $200

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Western Digital has launched its latest media-streaming device, the WD TV Live Hub. The set-top box offers 1TB of storage as well as support for full 1080p HD playback in popular formats such as MPEG4, Xvid, MKV, H.264 and MOV. The pre-installed software provides access to web video courtesy Netflix (which just got a little cheaper), Blockbuster on Demand, and YouTube, as well as other services such as Pandora, Flickr and Facebook.

Along with being able to stream from PCs and networked storage, the WD TV Live Hub can pump content to any DLNA/UPnP-compatible TV or multimedia device, such as game consoles. I/O includes HDMI 1.4, composite/component video, optical audio, two USB 2.0 ports, and gigabit Ethernet. Unfortunately, there's no built-in Wi-Fi, so you'll have to buy an optional dongle if you want wireless network connectivity.

The WD TV Live Hub ships with a remote control and a one-year warranty for $200, which isn't too bad all things considered. Desktop Review thinks the device sports a 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue, and that retails for $120 alone. The site has reviewed the device, giving it four out of five stars.

Permalink to story.

Seems like a good price for a machine with those specs. But no Wi-Fi? Why didn't they include it, there's no reason for it not being included.

Very nice device, but i think the limitations would eventually get to me. If i was on the market for such a device, i would probably build an HTPC that wouldn't be limlted to only a few features. Would cost more (not that much more) but would be worth it.

wow HDMI 1.4 (ethernet 10/100 integration) that's still pretty bleeding edge for the price. when get a tv for my bedroom will surely give this little gadget some serious look

Out of curiosity, is there a company that has hosted servers, where all the user needs is a receiver? Essentially, the user connects to a "service" that allows them to pick and choose their programming, and their shows are stored on the remote server. When they want to watch something, the show is buffered to the local system (say two minutes worth) with a brief commercial before hand to satisfy sponsors.

This would not necessarily need to be transmitted via the internet, as local cable, and satellite companies could broadcast the data through their own networks.

Pretty sure there isn't anything like that available, vangrat. The closest thing I can think of is possibly Comcast's "On Demand." And of course, if you want anything good, you have to pay extra for that.

Not sure about this. Except for the 1TB storage, basically every new DVD/Blu-ray/HDTV sold has the same functionality, and now most with Wi-Fi. PlayStation 3 has it too. And of course, if you build yourself an HTPC you'll have the same thing.

Just not sure what market they're going after.

I'm not sure what the point of the storage is since it's got network capability to stream from your PC. I guess if you didn't keep your PC on all the time you could store everything on this device but it would be much cooler if you could rip DVDs and store them on it for playback later.

i really badly need one of these as my home theater doesnt run mkv video format, and all my movies are well......MKV!

Why it still not supporting rmvb? Though the quality is low, but it's famous among 3rd world countries that still live with 1mbps turtle speed

2TB prices are faling and so these small HTPC with built in 2TB hdd makes sense to me because these media players cant recognise anything beyound 2TB space :)

TomSEA said:
Pretty sure there isn't anything like that available, vangrat. The closest thing I can think of is possibly Comcast's "On Demand." And of course, if you want anything good, you have to pay extra for that.

Not sure about this. Except for the 1TB storage, basically every new DVD/Blu-ray/HDTV sold has the same functionality, and now most with Wi-Fi. PlayStation 3 has it too. And of course, if you build yourself an HTPC you'll have the same thing.

Just not sure what market they're going after.

Than this definitely sounds like an open market to me. Personally I could really get into something like this. It would satisfy all the blasted marketing crap that most providers are worried about, while at the same time allowing users to watch what they want, when they want. Yes there would be a short commercial before your program. But if it is only one commercial before every program...annoyance factor drops dramatically.

Ah to imagine...sigh.

Finally this concept makes sense with the in built HDD.The problem is with audio . No point having a 1080 video with a mediocre audio out put. I believe AUDIO should be the next revolution.

I want a device like this but i'd much rather prefer a htpc because it could do so much more!!i have an old samsung lcd tv with no USB support so a device like this or an htpc would make a lot of sense. I hope i win the cpu/mobo/ram combo in the giveaway..then i can use my existing pc as a htpc..i dont really care about the noise!!

i got a WD TV mini for like 40bucks and its great, this beast has so many more features and with the internal storage i would be happy to pay around the 200-250 mark if i had the cash, Wifi big problem for so many people i cant see why to be honest you cant stream full HD and the drop outs would drive me insane.

What's the point? I'd rather have a DVD player that has a USB input where you can connect a external HDD or even a USB drive. Only good if your REALLY going to watch a lot of movies especially rent a lot of things off the net.

IMO, if I was going for something like this I'd spend a $100 bucks more and get a PS3 that can do all of this plus way more.

Back