Western Digital showcases hybrid SSHD technology during CES

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Western Digital is showcasing a new hybrid solid state drive technology at CES known as SSHD. Tthe solution combines the speed of a solid state drive with the capacity of a traditional spinning hard drive much like we have see from other manufacturers.

According to the Tech Report, WD believes that solid state storage will continue to remain much more expensive than spinning media for the foreseeable future. As such, they are working on a hybrid drive in the interim until pricing comes down to more competitive levels with regards to flash storage.

The demo consists of loading a suite of applications and measuring how long it takes. The publication observed it took roughly 81 seconds to complete the task using a standard hard drive and 51 seconds on a standard solid state drive. The hybrid drive was able to complete the tasks in 55 seconds; much closer to the SSD’s time than the HDD.

Western digital says the incoming writes from the host system aren’t stored in the NAND. Furthermore, the caching system is controlled by the firmware and host-based software drivers. This is different than Seagate’s Momentus XT drives where caching is taken care of entirely in the firmware.

The drive will be branded under the Black line and will ship in a 2.5-inch format with a thickness of 7mm, allowing it to fit into thinner notebooks than other 2.5-inch, 9.5mm offerings. The publication notes that a 5mm version may also be in the pipeline as well. Look for these drives to come in 500GB and 1TB capacities when they launch.

Permalink to story.

Maybe it's just me... But I'd love to see a hybrid drive that has the SSD and HDD accessible separately, rather than this glorified caching method. Give me a nice little 2.5 drive that will give me an SSD for my OS (C drive) and HDD for my storage (D drive), all in a neat package that fits into any laptop. That's my dream.

What I want to see is 512Gb and 1TB SSD drives come way down in price. Working with a 256Gb now for OS and games and its filling up fast.

Use an hdd to fill space until the ssd prices come down then. no need to be so difficult. I'm sure you've spent enough money already on the pc

"WD believes that solid state storage will continue to remain much more expensive than spinning media for the foreseeable future."

LOL...and also, LOL! :D
I don't think they've noticed just how much in price the SSD have come down. Not talking about the "foreseeable future", I see in the immediate future that the SSD prices will be cut by another 10-15%.

HDD's please just die already. Never going back to a physically moving drive again, they are just delaying the inevitable.

What I want to see is 512Gb and 1TB SSD drives come way down in price. Working with a 256Gb now for OS and games and its filling up fast.
You see the M500 news post? 1TB for around $600...

Still too much, in my opinion.

HDD's please just die already. Never going back to a physically moving drive again, they are just delaying the inevitable.

I say let's keep the HDD on life support for an indefinite period of time until the SSD can match or come close to HDD in price and capacity.

Still too much, in my opinion
Yes but come down a considerable amount in the last 12 months...

I say let's keep the HDD on life support for an indefinite period of time until the SSD can match or come close to HDD in price and capacity.
SSD speed and latency orders of magnitude better... price and capacity aren't the only factors. If you are getting 2TB hard drives for $100, a lot of people are going to be happy paying considerably more for the benefits of SSDs over HDDs.

Back