What are a few good choices of mobos to go with my processor?

I'm new to building. I'm looking at a processor but havent quite learned how to pair it with a motherboard. I understand that Intel processors have to go with Intel compatible Mobos and that graphics cards have to be supported by the mobo etc but I still dont understand fsb and ports etc.

Im looking at an Intel core i7 2600K processor.
3.4 GHz quad core.
max memory 32 GB
with a LGA 1155 socket.
it supports DDR3-1066/1333 memory
it doesnt show any fsb but instead says its replaced fsb with whats called DMI 2.0. Any tips on a solid motherboard to go with this.

Additional info:
Im also looking to plug TWO GeForce graphics cards into my mobo.
Also im planning 24GB of ram.
SATA hard drive and dvd rom drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Probably the best place to start would be for you to give us some information on your budget for the build and what the primary use of the system will be. There are a wide range of motherboard choices for the the i72600K which would be influenced by the factors already mentioned, same applies for a SLI configuration. Also, is there a particular reason you want to go with 24MB of memory?

Welcome to Techspot, see that this is your first post ... might want to make an entry in the newcomers thread to introduce yourself to the forum.

Actually I'm mostly in it for the fun of building my own desktop. The primary use of the computer would be gaming. While budget is slightly a factor, I want to build the best possible computer. Is 24 gb of ram bad? i would need at least 2 PCIe X 16 slots minimum. I am not sure what SLI configuration is but i want a fast reliable gaming computer. I havent started buying anything just yet but I want to make sure I get good price as well as good product. Another processor i was looking at was the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black edition. Which would serve me better?

The Core i7 2600K (or 2500K) would be considered by many to be the best choice at this time for a gaming rig, that may change when AMD releases their Bulldozer processors. You may or may not need a multiple Gpu configuration; that would depend on the resolution of your monitor as there are plenty of single Gpu solutions for anything below 1920x1080, unless you plan to run multiple monitors.

You won't really need anything above 8GB of main memory for this type of application, that's more or less considered the sweet spot for a 64 bit system. Perhaps a good place to start would be to review the Techspot PC Buying Guide for an general idea of the cost for each type of configuration.

Once you've zeroed in on exactly what you're trying to build there are plenty of forum members that will make recommendations and help out with the component selection process.

So far this is what I have!

Ok. So Ive researched the best I can and to my knowledge these should work well together but I would like to get some opinions too.

Parts I'm possibly purchasing:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black edition
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FXAM3
Graphics card: Diamond 5670PE51G ATI HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express
or XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI Express 2.0 X 16
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Internal PCI Express X-FI Xtreme 7.1 Channel
RAM: DDR3 4GB 1333MHz (PC3-10600) CL 9-9-9 unbuffere, 240 pin, single mod, samsung MV-3V4G4/US
Hard Drive: WD 320 GB SATA/300 16mb buffer (2 of them)
Blu ray rom Drive: ASUS Blu ray combo drive SATA
Power supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W continuous delivery modular power supply
Cooling: NOT SURE WHAT TO USE AS THE CASE HAS ITS OWN COOLING SYSTEM
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Flagship Full Tower ATX Computer case RC-942-KKN1

That's what I have so far and like I said as far as I know they all work together but I'm no expert so I would like a second opinion! I know its a lot of work to check into it but I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback!

Would definitely recommend the XFX HD 6870 over the HD 5670.
The Crosshair IV Formula has onboard 8 channel HD audio ... don't necessarily need the Creative sound card.
Still recommend 8 GB of main memory, something similar to this GSkill kit.
Plenty of power, would allow the addtion of a second HD 6870.
For processor cooling you can start with the stock cooler, you will need to consider something aftermarket if you choose to overclock the 1100T.
If you can fit it in your budget a 128GB SSD would be good, with a second traditional drive for storage needs.
Good choice on the case.
If you'll be gaming at 1920x1200 (1080) you might want to consider the HD6970 or possibly a GeForce GTX570.

All in all looks like a solid AMD rig but I would also price out a Sandy Bridge configuration for comparision. I have both AMD and Intel systems so I'm not promoting one over the other; but would give serious consideration to the Intel option at this time.

This is just a hypothetical build, but it is close to what I would build today for a high end AMD system. It could certainly be done for less and other components can be substituted for those listed below. With the exception of the Samsung drives I've used all the other brand products in a number of builds with good success. However, the reviews I've seen on the Samsung SSD and Spinpoint drives have been favorable. OCZ, Intel, Corsair and Crucial are just a few of the of the other SSD manufacturers worth considering ... try to check out some reviews to see what's best for you.

Very Good Gaming / Home Theater/ Just About Anything System

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T $229.99
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 $179.99
CORSAIR 850HX (Modular $164.99
Cooler Master HAF X $189.99
XFX Radeon HD 6870 $209.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB $99.99
LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner $79.99
SAMSUNG 470 Series MZ-5PA128/US 2.5" 128GB $249.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB $79.99

---> Total $1,485

Higher End Graphics - Other option would be to start with a single HD 6870 and add another later.

XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB $364.99
or
EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 $349.99

Aftermarket Cooling for Overclocking - H50 or H60 would be adequate.

CORSAIR Hydro H70 $104.81

---> Total $1,940 (with GTX 570)

Hopefully, this will give you a general idea of the budget you would need for what would be considered a high end enthusiast system.

Back