What could this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I know it could be a number of things but does anyone have a suggestion? It started about 7 days ago that my computer would just restart by itself. It did this several times in a short period. Now it has only done it a couple of times in the last several days. What does it sound like?

Your system likely has some software or hardware component that is failing, and when it fails Windows is set to reboot. If you turn off the automatic reboot, then you will possibly get more useful error messages.

It would be good to know your computer brand and model, or motherboard, along with configuration: Power Supply; installed memory; hard drive brand, model, and age... and operating system...

Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 , P&C quad 750watt, 2-Seagate Sata 500,1WD 1GB Carviar black, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

No.
You should run MemTest86 on only one module at a time, and replace the one that is bad... sorry, but you still must run each test for four hours or seven passes to be sure you have it licked.

No, I will have to replace all 4 which is what I had to do a year ago. It was bought as a set and they want to replace it as a set. That's what they told me last time.

That is another issue... along with whether they will accept your word on the results of the free version...
I would not want more memory from a supplier who has bunches of 4-module sets... too many send out the set to see if it fails in the next poor guy's computer.

I question whether the test is really valid if you tested all four at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back