What do I need to build a budgeted computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

complover

Hello
So I've had quite a good amount of experience with computers (software wise) but not much with hardware. I decided that I would like to build a computer, and started surfing the web. i found some sites,and think i have a good idea of what i need, but was lost at what kind of each thing to get.
I would like a fast, reliable all around computer (I'm not much of a gamer) that i can use for almost anything. I have about $500 to spend, and need to get an operating system on this computer with this money also. I don't need to buy a monitor, speakers, or mouse and keyboard though.
CPU, I want a relatively fast one but have no idea which is better AMD or Intel. I've heard AMD is better and cheaper, and I want a cpu that is fast with a cooling system. Case, i need one with psu already installed, and want one that looks relatively cool. Hardrive, hopefully around 160 or 250 so I can store some pics and music, plus microsoft (I don't need this software, just an OS)
I have no idea whats good for mobo but need a cheap one, and I don't want to have to but a video or audio card. The rest is up for grabs.
Thank you

Saving up might, be the way to go... I've rebuilt my computer, but one piece at a time so I don't even know how much it cost anymore lol.

Maybe look for some local stores that will build them to your exact specifications and give you a quote on what it will cost, they're often very helpful as well with any questions.

Motherboards can come with a somewhat decent onboard video and sound, good enough to get you through the day at least so you don't need to go out and buy any video cards that will cost you $100+ or sound cards that I'm not even sure on. Of course your motherboard will have a certain socket for the processor, try not to go with any of the ancient models that are out there. I once had a motherboard failure but I had a socket A processor so I had to get another socket A motherboard, they charged me infinitely for that new board.

I'm going to sleep but I'll be back tomorrow afternoon if you want any clarifications.

There aren't really any local stores that build computers, and I'm kind of on my own, but just want a good sturdy computer.
Another thing: I've looked at tigerdirect and newegg to look at products:am I missing any good sites with computer parts sales???

FYI:
Intel is better right now on your budget. You don't want to buy a video or audio card?
Audio on board, ok you can get by but no video card is unreasonable, if you want a fast system.
On board video is never even fair on a cheap motherboard.
I prefer newegg, I am awaiting a new HD from them while I am typing this msg.

Other tips:
Don't skimp on a generic power supply, I'd go at least around 400W for a basic system.
Get the best CPU you can afford, pay attention to the chipset on the motherboard also, going Intel? P35 is a good chipset and good price point. (I use it)
Video card wise, you can go 9600GT and be pretty satisfied, and long as your case is at least a mid tower.
Motherboard (and all hardware) wise, read the newegg reviews, and go for it! Good luck!

$500 for a non-gaming system is more than enough. Here's a possible system:
Grand Total = $464.93 without considering the rebates. All items come with free shipping and will work together perfectly. The case and PSU come separately, but are not especially difficult to put together. If you want, replace the PSU with this one. It's modular (meaning it comes with sleeved cables, for better airflow and cable management) and will add only about $10-15 to your overall budget. The system above is upgradeable and will do whatever you want it to.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks a ton,
Also, I was just wondering, what tools do I need??? Do I need to go all out and buy a whole tool set? I've heard that you also need a anti static bracelet-is this true??? Any info on anything is much appreciated,and thanks for the info I've already gotten

It's all in the user Manual (Safety precautions)

Normally you don't need the anti-staic strap (and mat)
You just need to earth yourself (on the case), then don't move your feet again

Tools wise, phillips heads you have already I am sure should be fine.
Strap is something I have never used, just ground yourself by touching the case EVERYTIME you go back to work on it, don't go rubbing your feet on carpet beforehand. ;)

I'd still get a video card for PCI Express slot, versus that junky 7100 on that Foxconn mobo, but that's a safe backup for tweaking BIOS settings at POST if video card has issues ever or setting it up before you have a card, you'll see how bad that built-in is, or maybe it truly won't bother you if you use nothing direct-x wise, something to buy later for under $100.

BIOS=basic input/output system
POST=power on self test

Firstly, I have antistatic gloves and only payed like $8 in all, including shipping, cheap and effective.
Secondly, what pieces do you NEED? Case? Video card? Sound card? CDROM/DVDROM drive?
Lastly, what programs are you going to be running. Depending on the programs, you can downgrade your system for running those instead of going overboard.
I'm going for the cheap and not the 'fast' computer, your limited by money so speed of your Pc overall might be affected.
I'll re-post with a 5 min scan of newegg for some decent parts.

I need everything
I'm starting from scratch here, as every computer I've had before was made by hp or dell or apple or someone, and I've always been interested in building and thought...Why not now?
Anyways, I know for sure that I will have word ppt and excel 2007 for sure, windows stuff, hopefully a little while in some photo/video editing software, not sure yet, but want to be able to download stuff without having to worry about slowing down my computer, etc. etc. I think that maybe I will get a video card now.... does anyone know of a good one for its price???
Thanks again

I think that the one I've shown has a heatsink... don't the boxed cpu's inlude them? I think that I am okay on all of this though, what I really need help with is the motherboard. I have no idea what's good and compatible with cpu's. Also a video card-if i need one-whats good for its value. I still need to stay under $500 though

You want to go AMD? You'll probably save even more cash in the process. The X2 5200+ is a fine choice, and I recommend the GA-MA78GM-S2H as a superb motherboard to go with it. You won't need a video card too, since the onboard GPU on that motherboard is the most powerful out there at the moment.

I'll be honest, even tho I hate AMD...
Thats a D*MN good priced CPU right there...

Also, I'm sure everyone will remember to look around, but you gotta geta GOOD MoBo to go with AMD/Intel processors....

This is the cooler for you, and it's well budgeted... :p here (-52C)

Is there a way I can get a cpu with a cooling system already on it??
I thought that thats what it meant when the picture showed a box. What is in the box??? (I'm having trouble finding this out, because I thought it was heatsink)

Retail boxed CPUs come with a heatsink. You don't need to buy one separately. Only OEM CPUs will not come with one.

Encase this helps:
http://www.gamingparents.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=180&Itemid=64

I wrote that as a general guide and you can see I didn't include component specifics b/c they change constantly. Let those experts here guide you in that respect.

I thought I had submitted it to "Guides and solved Problems" section ages ago, but apparently it wasn't accepted. So maybe it sucks #$$........just a word of caution.

Take care and good luck with your build.

Thank you sir. It's poorly written, with a lot of awkward grammar (my apologizes to English Lit majors), but hopefully it suffices as a starting point to building your own rig.

I think that motherboard looks good- cpu, case, mobo, psu, hard drive, ram, anything missing??? Oh yeah, dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back