What GPU would I need to play games maxed out on 1920x1080 resolution?

Are you looking for a single gpu or a SLI/Crossfire solution? Depends on what capabilities your motherboard has, power supply, etc.

psu doesnt matter.

Not sure on the context of your meaning, "doesn't matter", but in any case it makes a huge difference to whether you can run a good GPU or not.

In any case, your looking at a 1GB GTX460, or HD6870 upwards in order to play at full HD and high settings.

Lower GPUs will play HD resolution, sacrificing your detail settings to do so.

You need at least 500-600W, from a reputable PSU manufacturer to get the best from these GPUs though.

SLI GTX460's, or CF HD6870's will provide for awesome graphics, but realistically you will need 700W or above to power them.

Do not skimp on the PSU, its the fastest way of destroying all the money spent on the GPUs, and in worse case won't even provide them enough power, or even worse still, will overload them and cause damage.

All of this assumes you have two free PCI-EX slots, and the ability to run SLI/CF, and a PC specification that won't actually bottleneck all the performance gains possible from them.

oh yeah, sorry, maybe i should have said psu doesnt matter as ill base whatever psu i buy on what gpu il be thinking of getting and if its owrth getting a psu to handle sli or crossfire. I was thinking of the hx750 which should be enough for it i think.

What would be better, hd6870 or a gtx460? And what are your thoughts on the 560Ti?

The 6870 is significantly faster than the GTX 460. The 560Ti is a little faster than the 6870, and a little slower than the 6950.
is PhysX an important feature to you?
The 6950 1GB and the 560Ti 1GB are within $10.00 of each other.

Both will play just about anything on max settings (metro 2033 on very high being the exception) @ 1920 x 1080

As Red has already noted the 6950 1GB or GTX 560Ti 1GB would both be good choices. They scale well so adding a second card down the line is always an option to provide real high end performance.

Back