What monitors is this graphics card compatible with?

The monitor's screen resolution is 2560 x 1440, with a 75 Hz refresh rate. The GeForce 460 has 2 possible output sockets: DVI and HDMI. The highest resolution and refresh rate supported is 2560x1600 60 Hz, but that's using the dual link DVI socket only. If I remember my GTX 480 days, the HDMI socket was limited to 1080p and that monitor only has a HDMI and DisplayPort inputs.

So there are 2 problems here but only one has a solution. The resolution-socket issue can be fixed by using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and setting a custom frame resolution in the driver control panel. However, that's still limited to 60 Hz - the monitor should support this, but it won't be as nice to look at compared to it running at 75 Hz.

If you're planning on gaming with this GPU, then you'll be far better off getting a nice 1080p monitor, as the 460 will struggle to run well at 1440p.

The monitor's screen resolution is 2560 x 1440, with a 75 Hz refresh rate. The GeForce 460 has 2 possible output sockets: DVI and HDMI. The highest resolution and refresh rate supported is 2560x1600 60 Hz, but that's using the dual link DVI socket only. If I remember my GTX 480 days, the HDMI socket was limited to 1080p and that monitor only has a HDMI and DisplayPort inputs.

So there are 2 problems here but only one has a solution. The resolution-socket issue can be fixed by using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and setting a custom frame resolution in the driver control panel. However, that's still limited to 60 Hz - the monitor should support this, but it won't be as nice to look at compared to it running at 75 Hz.

If you're planning on gaming with this GPU, then you'll be far better off getting a nice 1080p monitor, as the 460 will struggle to run well at 1440p.
Thanks for the reply. I am not planning on gaming with this monitor, it would mainly be used for documents and videos.

Are you able to suggest an affordable replacement video card that would make full use of this monitor? @neeyik
Sure, but what budget do you have in mind? Affordable means different things to different folks :) But since this is just for documents and videos, possible contenders are:

GeForce GT 1030 - $115

Radeon RX550 - $176

The GT 1030 would be fine. It can support that monitor's resolution, refresh rate, and connection just fine. However, it doesn't support the monitor's variable refresh rate system (AMD FreeSync) or more rather, the monitor doesn't support the graphics card's system (G-SYNC). The Radeon RX550, does, and supports every thing else you need.

Back