What should I choose for an editing laptop?

Here are my current laptop specs:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.23
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4000M CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

I am wondering if I should try upgrading or buying a completely new laptop. I plan on running mostly Photoshop with some minor video editing in After Effects. If I should upgrade, what would be best to upgrade to achieve a laptop that can smoothly run those programs. If I should buy a new laptop, I would like to keep it smaller and similar size to the 13" Macbook Pro. Overall, I would like to keep all costs under $800.
Thank You,
Tracker47

Are you having issues running these programs on your current system? Upgrading a laptop is not the same as upgrading a PC. One is often limited to upgrading just memory and hard drives.

Are you having issues running these programs on your current system? Upgrading a laptop is not the same as upgrading a PC. One is often limited to upgrading just memory and hard drives.

My laptop only has issues with programs like After Effects or Premiere Pro, sometimes it will crash, other times it runs just plain slow. Also, my laptop has minor issues with Cinema 4D and Photoshop. Mostly, just having to do with minor lag. I wish that I could cut down the size of my laptop, so I will probably look into either the XPS 13, or something a little cheaper. But, I was wondering about a laptop with good graphics and a crisp picture. Something similar to a Macbook Pro, but with a PC or HP feel to it. Thanks for replying!

Your issue is most likely due to your Intel HD graphics 4600. A dedicated graphics card would most likely help but I doubt you can do that on your system.

Your 8 gigs of RAM is good. The $800 budget is a concern here for what you are looking for.

Back