What subscription based security solution should I get?

Brennan

I currently have a lifetime subscription to Malwarebytes and my BitDefender anti-virus just ran out (wasn't very impressed with it for a few reasons), I plan on sticking with Windows Defender as my anti virus and Malwarebytes for other Malware, however I feel like I could use one more thing for that extra security since my PC habits are not very safe.

So my question is, what other subscription program/service should I buy for that added bit of security/prevention?

Hi! IMHO, all you need is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes running in real time. It is not good to have more then one anti-virus running in real time. It might cause conflicts. You might think about WOT. If your PC habits aren't very safe, the best protection you can have is a 3rd party backup image program. I prefer Macrium Reflect, but there are several programs on the web that will create back up images.
https://www.mywot.com/en/download

Hi! IMHO, all you need is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes running in real time. It is not good to have more then one anti-virus running in real time. It might cause conflicts. You might think about WOT. If your PC habits aren't very safe, the best protection you can have is a 3rd party backup image program. I prefer Macrium Reflect, but there are several programs on the web that will create back up images.
https://www.mywot.com/en/download

There was a huge scandal with WOT, they were selling user browsing data and the addon itself was/is supposedly vulnerable, I wont be using them again for that reason and the fact the addon was very ineffective at offering any protection when I had it; it would flag sites for child safety reasons which I wasn't concerned about etc etc.

I'll check out that image backup software, might be worth the time, thank you for the reply.

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I'm well aware of rumors about WOT. They may very well be true. I'm thinking that Firefox has reconsidered and is now using the WOT add-on again. I'm not sure about that. I can guarantee you that if you learn to use a 3rd party image program, you will be a fearless windows user like myself. I'm going to do a little search about WOT. If I find any thing interesting, I will post back here.:)

Hi @cliffordcooley Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find any thing about the WOT issues. It's good to know the issue has been resolved. I've been using WOT for several years and I always recommend it.

Client side Security solutions; there are two kinds:
  1. reactive
  2. proactive
Historically, our antivirus' came as (1) Reactive. After install, they periodically scan (usually) the whole system looking for infections and then attempt to at least quarantine and/or remove the infection. So every so often, the cycle repeats, wasting your time and for laptops, squandering your precious battery power. Of course we run our firewall and use a NAT router, but we are still exposed for email and websurfing infections.

The (2) Proactive approach attempts to AVOID the infection download at the earliest point possible, and if successful, the scanning of the whole system is pointless - - it never got infected in the first place.

You can surf for Proactive Antivius protection to see products that use this approach. I'm using Avast! Free myself.

Back