What to buy with SSD

Jskid

I'm buying my first SSD and I'm planning on the Samsung 840 Evo.What do I need to get in order to actually use the SSD? For example is it required I get some sort of adapter to hold it in the case? Do these usually come with a SATA III connector? Anything else I should know about/check?

The 2.5 SATA data and power connector is the same as 3.5 SATA data and power. There is no difference between SSD and HDD data and power connectors. Some cases come with 2.5 inch drive mounting. If you don't have a case that will accommodate 2.5 inch mounting, you will need a 3.5 to 2.5 mounting bracket.

For example is it required I get some sort of adapter to hold it in the case? Do these usually come with a SATA III connector?
The only brackets that will have SATA connectors are designed for externally removing the drive. The brackets usually just hold the drive and then you connect data and power which is separate from the bracket.

Last edited:
All the connectors are included and the computer case has the brackets to hold the drive.

Last edited:
All the connectors are included and the computer case has the brackets to hold the drive.
Some purchases do not come with a 3.5/2.5 bracket and most cases do not support 2.5 mounting. I had to buy a separate bracket to mount my SSD. How can you say that unless you know which case the OP has?

I've had my eye on the Evo for a while now and I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with a SATA connector.

I've had my eye on the Evo for a while now and I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with a SATA connector.
All of the SATA connectors actually come with the motherboard. When I posted above I guess I was really tired xD.

You need a SATA2/3 cable, and a SATA power connection cable free on the PSU. A mounting kit is not required, as the SSD has no moving parts. I just place mine gently in a safe spot (one of them is upside-down on an angle inside case, actually).

You need a SATA2/3 cable, and a SATA power connection cable free on the PSU. A mounting kit is not required, as the SSD has no moving parts. I just place mine gently in a safe spot (one of them is upside-down on an angle inside case, actually).
Some people put SSDs vertically for style also.

I wouldn't recommend it though. If you use older SATA cables that don't have the snap-in clips, they could come loose if you are just sitting the drive down (e.g. if you move your PC). The power connectors don't have a clip at all iirc. Bad SATA I/O connectivity can wreak havoc on the stability of your system.

Sure 99% of the time you don't move your system. What about the 1 time you do and you don't remember you left the drive sitting free in the case?

Oh yeah, I agree. I just stated what's required. SATA3 cables and a secure mounting point are nice optional extras.

You need to get trim support on Motherboards with Intel chipsets and you don't want to enable AHCI before you load Windows and you still want to check and make sure that automatic defrag is turned off.

You need to get trim support on Motherboards with Intel chipsets and you don't want to enable AHCI before you load Windows and you still want to check and make sure that automatic defrag is turned off.
Not sure why you wouldn't want to enable AHCI before loading Windows. It is a pain to inject the AHCI drivers post fact.

The other stuff - agreed.

Back