What type of slot do I have for a Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomez123098

:D Hey everyone I'm new to opening and moving things around the inside of computers and wanting to learn more about it. Ok so I have this Compaq Presario 6000 and can't find any information on it over the internet. I've been wanting to play some games below 2.0 Ghz (because thats all it can really take), So i decided to get GTA San Andreas. The problem is that my bulitin graphics card only has a max of 32MB.(LAME!! :p) I want buy a new PC but way way way later on in the future. (Economy) So I decided that i wanted to get a new temporary graphics card till I wait this very long time.

So I searched around Walmart.com ( :p CHEAPO) and found this nicely priced MSI 256MB PCI-E nVidiaNX8400GS Graphics Card For ONLY 30.00 Bucks!!!

But it says its a PCI Express card and I don't know if I do have a slot to fit.

The Computer:
Compaq Presario 6000

With :
-Windows XP SP3
-AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
-1.66GHz, 736MB of Ram (I'm willing to buy more Ram It's on my list :p)

I don't know if this is any helpful but I installed GTA Vice City and it worked fine.
Nice speed everything besides when I hit A fire hydrant or when it rained or had anything to with water or blood splatter the game would look all funky and had to minimize and bring back when that was over in order for the game to work properly.

P.S. If you know what type of card I can use can you send me the link.
please think Cheap. LOL
And can you please get link from Walmart, Radio Shack, Ect. (Stores)
Any Good Games??

PICS:

(DIDNT LET ME? I Put Them In Trakback)

BY THE WAY MY FIRST POST ON ANY WEBSITE FOR HELP. THANX! :D

Please anyone I really want to play games.
P.s. the gta vice city thingy is just doing that since
my current one is real lame. (S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR - 32mb)

please relink an actual photo and not the album (which is passworded anyways)...

my guess is that you will need either an AGP or PCI (not PCI express) video card.

Thats an AGP slot in your pics, the 8400gs from walmart there is a pci express card.....so don't get that one

The Saphire is a better graphics card than the PNY, but of course, Wal-Mart is closer, I suppose.
Either will work well enough.

thanx guys but i think im a just stick with the PNY Technologies GeForce 6200 256MB AGP
till i get my new computer.
my friend told me that his friend has that card and he could run COD4
i know my system might not run that game because of my GHz Ram ect. but if it worked on
COD4 then I'm guessing that in games like halo:evolution and San Andreas It should work pretty well. what do you guys think??

I understand your mentality of not wanting to pay for an expensive GPU when you system is slow and can't support it. The thing is that the 6200 is a really weak card, I recommend the HD 3650. It is about $58 dollars on Newegg.com now and isn't much more than the 6200 and you will get much better performance for the price.

Technically, CoD4 will run with the 6200 in your system but it won't run very well and that is a promise.

COD4 on the 6200 i would think would have to be at a really low res and or spec, however a lot of folks ask about games with that era card, do us a favor and post back when you find out what you can and cant do with it would you?

will it like lose texture and graphics or speed of game?
because what im really wanting is that the speed of the game to run smooth
not so much for texture right now.

man im real cheap. lol. srry

COD4 then I'm guessing that in games like halo:evolution and San Andreas It should work pretty well. what do you guys think??
Halo one can even run on integrated graphics, yes you can even play COD4 but it will look bad.

man im real cheap. lol. srry

:haha: kind of a jack Benny think ya got going there LOL, the answer is all of the above like Tek pointed out. you could technically play anything with it, but you would have to push the res and spec so low it probably not be very enjoyable, but that's for you to decide.

will it like lose texture and graphics or speed of game?
because what im really wanting is that the speed of the game to run smooth
not so much for texture right now.

It won't run smoothly with the 6200. You will have to reduce all settings to the minimum to get a decent framerate and it still probably won't be a constant 30+ FPS, probably lower. HD 3650 AGP is more than enough for your system and isn't much more in price. I doubt they have it at Wal-Mart but Newegg.com has excellent customer service and fast shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back