What's the best thing you've ever won in a contest or giveaway?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In the wake of our recent giveaway where one lucky reader took home a Dell XPS 13 laptop and a 32-inch UltraSharp 4K monitor, we’re curious to know, what’s the best thing you’ve ever won in a contest or giveaway?

I’ve only won a few things in my lifetime: a 35mm film camera at a bingo game around the age of eight or so, third (or maybe fourth?) place in a giveaway from 3DMark (I think) probably 16+ years ago (I narrowly missed out on a free video card and instead got a mouse and some random schwag) and a first-gen iPad in a social media competition in 2010 that ended up being more work than it was worth.

How about you? Feel free to share in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

I won a PC Gamer contest years ago and received a copy of Doom 3 signed by the developers in golden ink. That's about it for me.

I won a raffle where the prize was a St. Bernard, a snow shovel, and 200# of dog food .... fortunately I found a new home for it before I used much of the dog food or the shovel!

TWO Nintendo 64 Systems plus a 4-pack of games each in a bingo hall of all places. This was just when the unit was released, was sold out everywhere, two weeks before Christmas and parents were scrambling to get one for their kids. I had a guy walk up to me and hand me five $100 bills for the second unit on the spot. Double win! :)

A crappy home cinema system on my local shopping mall, tickets for a prerelease screening of Resident Evil: Extinction and some Steam games on Steamgifts :/

Really underwhelming stuff, I don't bother with giveaways most of the time, usually they're more like "contests" in that they require some kind of effort to participate in, which defeats the point in my opinion.

I won a copy of Crimson Skies (the original PC version) and a Sybex strategy guide from some gaming site that shuttered a few months later. It is still one of my favorite games to play.

The closest thing I have ever come to winning something would be a copy of Soldier of Fortune. A friend and myself answered a post from Raven Software asking if anyone was interested in beta testing a new game. We got off of work that day, drove to Madison (close to it anyway) played most of the night. Gave our feedback on the game and several months later a full copy was in my mailbox. They were a great bunch of guys working there. Everyone beta testing was using the employees pc's to play the game. I was a lucky one, the desk I was at had a trackball. My choice for an input device.

Contest: Trophy for tap dancing as a kid...bunch of certificates for piano recitals.

Giveaway: Your mother.

(What? That setup was obvious!)

Recently won a $100 gift certificate from an online book store... Won a couple of Playstation games from Gamespot about 20 years ago (but didn't have a Playstation - so exchanged them for PC Games).

When I was in high school decades ago, my paternal grandmother entered my name in a rural bank giveaway. I won a pressure cooker.

for lotto, the max I won was 150php (1$ us = ~49php Philippine peso) as consolation prize for getting 3 numbers right out of 6. the last time I won this consolation prize was more than three years ago.

Never won much in competitions, have won a cd, a couple of towels and some small items.

But I once got a defective Akai amplifier for free, because the owner thought it was done for. Turned out it was the fuse. That's what I call a giveaway..

A Gamecube back in the day. My fraternity had a raffle ticket drawing at an event we hosted and the girl I sat next to didn't want her ticket so she gave it to me...lady luck struck me in the butt shortly after ^^

Many years ago, at a gaming expo (ECTS) I entered into a raffle to win a dune buggy by beating a friend at a Codemasters racing game (I think it was Insane? I had to look it up). A few days later I get a call tell me I won a dune buggy, would you like a dune buggy or £2000? Obviously I chose the cash :)

When I was in grade 5 I called in to a local radio station (kiss FM in vancouver) and won a trip for myself + 1 parent to a 5 star resort in Hawaii.

Congrats to the person who took home the prizes. You know, money don't bring happiness but is more comfortable to cry in front of a Dell XPS 13 laptop and a 32-inch UltraSharp 4K monitor setup.

Yes folks, I am a little bit envious, I never won a prize in such conditions, through life has been kind to me in other ways and I am very grateful for that.

I won a pen that looked like a big flat head nail and a pack of fun sized mars bars at school when I was 7... I shared out the mars bars to my friends at school and my sister got upset that she didn't get one and when we got home she told my mum and I got into trouble for not bringing them home to share with the family... (sniff!) I'm over it... I'm over it.

Back