What's the best USB 3.0 expansion card

Mizzou

Wanting to add USB 3.0 to my existing AMD system and am seeking input from those that may have already been down this path. The LaCie LaCie USB 3.0 PCI Express Card looks pretty interesting but I have no experience with their products ... any feedback would be appreciated.

There's not much magic in USB expansion cards. The card you mention will work fine as long as your motherboard has an accessible PCI-e X1 slot

Did some more checking around and it looks like ASUS and Gigabyte at one time had offerings, although both products now appear to be discontinued. The ASUS also had a couple of Sata 6 GB ports ... might see if I can locate a seller for that. Thanks

Update: As it turns out the Verbatim 2TB USB 3.0 actually comes with the USB 3.0 host card along with the drive so I'm going to give it a shot ... will post back with results.

Got the Verbatim 2TB external hooked up this morning and on the whole am very satisfied with the results. Installation of the USB 3.0 card is very simple, all you need is a four pin molex as a power source. Drive feels very solid and is virtually silent in operation, performance is very close to that of a Sata 2 disk drive. Have attached HdTune and Atto benchmarks compared to a standard 1TB Western Digital unit. Sure beats upgrading your motherboard to get USB 3.0 support.

Pretty impressive. Even though I got USB3.0 support when I upgraded my machine I hadn't really looked to see what there was available that supported USB3.0. With Intel getting behind their own lightpeak standard I thought there wouldn't be much available in terms of USB3.0 devices. Going have a dig around now :)

Back