Where did Broadwell go? Leaked Intel roadmap shows 2014 Haswell refresh, but no Broadwell

Rick

Staff

A leaked roadmap picked up by VR-Zone suggests Intel's Broadwell won't be shipping any time soon. The desktop timeline, which just barely slips into the beginning of 2015, doesn't even mention Broadwell. Additionally, Broadwell's absence on a previously leaked roadmap possibly extends this absence even further -- well into the first-half of 2015. So, what happened to Broadwell? 

We're currently in the midst of Intel's Haswell awakening as manufacturers announced various Haswell-equipped PCs and laptops. Although fourth-gen CPUs based on Haswell's 22nm architecture don't seem to offer much of a CPU performance bump, Intel has made definite gains in integrated graphics performance and overall power consumption.

Broadwell is expected to be a "tick" in Intel's tick-tock release cycle, which means we'll likely see a die-shrink (14nm) and little else. As such, some suppose the "Haswell Refresh" (which is due later in 2014) may actually be Broadwell -- this may make some sense given that Skylake is purportedly due in early 2015. Skylake is expected to be the "tock" to Broadwell's "tick". Lending some additional credence to this thinking is Intel's 9-series chipset. The new platform was originally planned to accompany the launch of Broadwell but it now appears to be aligned with the Haswell refresh instead. So, Haswell refresh = Broadwell? Maybe...

VR-Zone's "Computex sources" claim though that Broadwell won't appear on desktop systems until the second half of 2015. If that's true, Haswell should reign supreme in the mainstream space for quite some time. Broadwell could always appear beforehand though, in some non-desktop form. A rumor indicating Broadwell will be soldered onto motherboards carries with some implication of its use inside portable and special form factor computers, if not just for low-end PCs as rumored.

Also, Ivy Bridge will be gaining 130W-140W LGA2011 "E" variant later this year, intended to cater to the high-performance market. Meanwhile, a Haswell-E part isn't due until the latter half of 2014 perhaps encouraging enthusiasts to hold onto their third-gen Intel CPUs for an uncharacteristically long period time. 

Permalink to story.

Very interesting. It may be another situation like Sandy Bridge where they released a 2700k.

"Meanwhile, a Haswell-E part isn't due until the latter half of 2011." I think you mean latter half of 2014, 2011 is the chipset is it not?

Because god knows we cant wait 6 months to spend another $330 for a FIVE percent improvement over the $330 chip we just bought.

If Broadwell was delayed until 2025 they'd be doing everyone an enormous favor.

And AMD once again has another opportunity to drop the ball
/fixed.
Even if a refreshed Haswell remains on 22nm with minimal performance advancements, AMD will still be fielding a 28nm Steamroller architecture (as CPU and Kaveri) in competition - and of course as everyone knows: Deep pipeline = high power requirement. Hemmed in at the top of the food chain (HEDT/ server) by Ivy Bridge/Haswell-E, and having a decided disadvantage in performance-per-watt and performance-per-mm against Intel's mainstream. AMD are years away from competing with Intel in those metrics, and Haswell's mix-and-match CPU and graphics are only going to exacerbate the issues- especially if Intel decide to make the HD 5200 (or its successor) available to its entry level processors
55280.png

(Anandtech)

The mountain AMD has to climb looks even more daunting when you consider that OEMs are the biggest market for any processor line. By the time Steamroller comes on stream (assuming Globalfoundries actually adheres to some kind of timetable and commercial yield for a change) , you can rest assured that Intel will have 14nm products already in the OEM and public eye. Intel are already gearing up for what looks like a full-court press. Large fabrication overcapacity + aggressive marketing of Bay Trail and Merrifield + luring customers away from TSMC means that AMD also has a fight from the low end of the market.
For AMDs sake I hope that Intel doesn't manage to lure Apple away from TSMC and Samsung - although I'm pretty certain that Apple wouldn't need much of a excuse to divorce itself from the latters NAND products given the present climate.

I think AMD can win in the graphics game. They have GPU experience from the radeon divison that they can tap to beat Intel in the graphics game. They wont win in CPU performance, but they can put up a pretty dang good fight in GPU performance.

I think AMD can win in the graphics game. They have GPU experience from the radeon divison that they can tap to beat Intel in the graphics game. They wont win in CPU performance, but they can put up a pretty dang good fight in GPU performance.

amd already has intel beat. theoretically, amd's gpu in the a10-4600m is already far better than the intel hd 4000 gpu. they can say "oh, we have the best gpu around" all they want, but if the cpu cant keep up playable framerates, then what does it matter? and, in order to compete to intel's iris pro chip, they would have to more than double performance over the current chip. that....is not going to happen. they are already late with richland, how on earth will they get kaveri out at a reasonable time, and with so much more performance to boot?

xD So true.

Because of them, I'm holding off AGAIN until the Haswell refresh I guess, hoping that the focus with it goes away from power savings, to power abusing. aka MUCH better overclocking than on current gen Haswell's. It was a turn off when I heard more than once, that you could be lucky to get a 4.5GHz clock speed on a 4770K. It's a K ffs, and they neuter it again after IVB?! They integrate VRM onto the die, and I might be able to get 4.5GHz? Fail.

ASUS dissed me too when they went all black and gold on their Z87 mobos. I mean, what light kit (my lights and LED's are blue AND I have a full clear acrylic side panel) goes with black and effing gold? lol Don't even get me started on their ugly as hell heatsinks. They have to be the cheapest looking heatsinks I've ever seen. I forget the name, but board before the Plus SKU had a heatsink that looked like the one you got with an AthlonXP CPU. So ew. Then GB and MSI decide to go fluorescent orange and green. FML.

*I made an edit to my previous comment to be more specific. SV includes a lot of companies. Oops.

Because of them, I'm holding off AGAIN until the Haswell refresh I guess, hoping that the focus with it goes away from power savings, to power abusing
Not likely.
1. Intel's (and AMD's for that matter) is moving toward a mobile-centric architecture
2. Smaller node means smaller die and smaller CPU/APU package. Lower power usage on a rapidly shrinking surface area still equates to high localised temps.
3. Core efficiency (cache, branch prediction, memory transfers) takes precedence over core frequency. Branch prediction accuracy usually takes a hit once the power envelope starts ramping up. Accuracy and stability are usually a better trade off against outright speed (see Intel Xeon)
ASUS dissed me too when they went all black and gold on their Z87 mobos. I mean, what light kit (my lights and LED's are blue AND I have a full clear acrylic side panel) goes with black and effing gold? lol Don't even get me started on their ugly as hell heatsinks.
A first world problem or THE first world problem ?
Easy fix: Unscrew the heatsinks, Cut fresh thermal tape to size. Remove existing thermal pads and clean TIM residue with isopropyl alcohol. Anodize or repaint heatsinks to desired colour. Replace thermal pads and TIM. Carefully refit heatsinks.

PC market is slowing down. So maybe intel is slowing the development.

PC market is slowing down. So maybe intel is slowing the development.
If the PC market is slowing down, I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with Intel's development. I'll give two names of which I'd bet on before Intel.
  1. AMD
  2. Microsoft
Look at the bright side though. Be happy with the idea, your four year old computer doesn't absolutely need replacing. A slow PC market will prolong the life of anyone's PC.

If the PC market is slowing down, I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with Intel's development. I'll give two names of which I'd bet on before Intel.
  1. AMD
  2. Microsoft
Look at the bright side though. Be happy with the idea, your four year old computer doesn't absolutely need replacing. A slow PC market will prolong the life of anyone's PC.

Totally Agreed.

My I7 970 @ 4Ghz will last me alteast until 2014/2015 now.

And considering I built the system in oct 2009 with a 920 D0 which I only replaced with a 970 about 1.5 years ago this computer will last me longer than any other I've built.

So for me my next upgrade maybe Haswell's refresh or Haswell E

How the hell will a slow PC market improve the lifespan of your PC???? If your PC is fast enough for you, great. The rapid pace of innovations should not concern you at all. If your PC is not fast enough, you will love the rapid pace of innovations. Personally, my PC can never be cool enough, fast enough, or small enough. It can always be cooler, faster, smaller, more efficient, cheaper, etc, etc.

A slowing pace of innovation does not benefit anyone. To believe otherwise is short-sighted and foolish.

How the hell will a slow PC market improve the lifespan of your PC????
The word prolong does not mean the same as improve.

Personally, my PC can never be cool enough, fast enough, or small enough.
Ahh, the mines bigger than yours mentality.

Thanks for joining the burn up resources for the hell of it band wagon! You should try enjoying what you have, instead of trying to replace it the day you buy it.

The word prolong does not mean the same as improve.

Ahh, the mines bigger than yours mentality.

Thanks for joining the burn up resources for the hell of it band wagon! You should try enjoying what you have, instead of trying to replace it the day you buy it.

wouldnt that be the "mines smaller than yours" mentality in this case? besides, newer hardware is more efficient than old hardware, so I dont see the waste factor here. its not like we throw out our pcs we build (they are religated to other tasks or given away.)

If you can't see how manufacturing burns up resources and purchasing goods every 2 years instead of 6 years is wasting resources on a global scale, I'm sorry there is nothing more I can say to convince you.

If you can't see how manufacturing burns up resources and purchasing goods every 2 years instead of 6 years is wasting resources on a global scale, I'm sorry there is nothing more I can say to convince you.

if you cant see furthur than the initial purchaser, then you are clearly quite short sighted. when I replaced my i7 970 with a 3770, the power consumption dropped from 130w to 77w. less power consumption is good. I also replaced my aging 550tis with 770s. now, one of my friends bought my old i7 for his rig, which was running a 920, and another bought one of my 550s to sli with his own 550. I sold the other 550 on ebay. now, if I hadnt purchased the new hardware, both of my friends would have bought new hardware instead, so just as many, if not more, resources would be used. its just fine if you want to run a gts 450, but some of us like having some actual gpu power to run modern games at modern resolutions.

Back