Where to get the Windows 8.1 key?

ace2001

Ok, guys.
I have a trial version of Windows 8.1 and I want to upgrade to a full version.
I don't want to get the disk and reinstall, so is there any way I can get the Windows 8.1 key(just the key, not whole OS) and just type it in Windows and activate a full version?

Thanks in advance! :D

If you bought the PC from a company like Lenovo, there should be a key on the bottom somewhere. But unfortunately that doesn't work for windows 8/8.1 since the key is embedded into the bios, not the sticker. This makes it impossible to transfer to another PC. Does that help at all?

No, I have built a PC and I have a Windows 8.1 Trial on it. Where can I get the Windows 8.1 license key?

I understand that, but if I buy it from microsoft and choose download option, will I download the whole OS or just the key?

If you go to the control panel, search upgrade and go to Windows Anytime Upgrade you can then go online and purchase the upgrade directly from MS, I think this just makes it the full version. This is in an activated Windows 7 so I don't know if this applies (or even exists) in a trial of Windows 8.1.

Disc/data is not linked to the key. The key is linked to the type of data, though (Home, Premium, etc).

Follow @hopgop1 instructions above. If it doesn't work it'll let you know.

Disc/data is not linked to the key. The key is linked to the type of data, though (Home, Premium, etc).

Follow @hopgop1 instructions above. If it doesn't work it'll let you know.

Dose the trial version of win 8.1 allow you to upgrade and activate it. From inside windows.
Was not sure. Did google it but came up with the same as the preview to reinstall windows. Not unless its win 8.1 enterprise.

Windows 8.1 Tip: Upgrade from Windows 8 Enterprise | Windows 8 content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows

The Windows 8 trial did not allow you to upgrade. 8.1 may be the same thing. We'd need to confirm where exactly this trial came from.

I understand that, but if I buy it from microsoft and choose download option, will I download the whole OS or just the key?
possibly yes, you have the option of re-downloading the installer but since Microsoft store would also email you the transaction record together with the key, open your email, retrieve key, and input it. (for non-enterprise windows 8 version)

windows 8 enterprise trial needs a new reinstallation if user opts to buy retail version.

Back