Which is fastest CPU workable on Asus M4A88T-M MoBo(of Year:2011)

Navin Talati

I have a system since year 2011, consisting major components as under:

Motherboard: Asus M4A88T-M
CPU: AMDs Phenom (tm) II X2 555)
RAM:DDR3 - 8+4+2 = 14 GB

The system works nicely till date.

My questions are:

1. Can I make it more and effectively faster just by changing only CPU? (Keeping all other components as such - no change except CPU)

2. Which will be the fastest CPU workable on this MoBo?

3. If I change the CPU as you suggest, need I reinstall the Operating Systems again? (OR the OS is required to reinstall only upon changing the motherboard?)

Your valuable guidance is requested.

Regards.
Navin Talati /08-08-2021

NOTE:
Instead of upgrading the entire machine, I think of changing only a CPU just because it will be the most economical upgrade

1. My system's cabinet/chasis is CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO having horizontal MoBo tray. Air flow is fine.

2. My PSU is Cooler Master 800W Silent pro Gold.

3. The MoBo (Asus M4A88T-M) is having BIOS Version 2403 at present (as on the date).

4. The MoBo (Asus M4A88T-M) supports following type of CPU as per its User Guide.

@ AMD Socket AM3 for AMD Phenom II / Athlon II / Sampron 100 series processors
@ Supports 45nm CPU
@ Supports CPU up to 140W

5. I have TWO hard drives for O.S. (I.e. 240 gb SSD for Windows 10 and 250 gb hdd for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) permanently installed.

6. Also keeps TWO hard drives for data (each of 1 tb hdd). I connect them as and when required for assessing or processing the data stored.

7. I have installed Oracle VM in both the O.S. mentioned in above para-5.

8. For CPU cooling, I am generally using fan + heatsink etc. which comes as stock with the CPU.

Under this condition, can I replace my present CPU (AMDs Phenom (tm) II X2 555) with Phenom II X6 1100T ?
So that the system perform better in multi-threaded applications. Also my machine becomes more faster and can do work well with VM Wares etc.)

Replacement suggestion with other appropriate 6 core + 6 thread CPU will be appreciated.

Please guide.

Regards to all.

1100T should work but remember that your motherboard is quite old and durability might be or became problem. If it works, system will be much better in multi threaded applications or multi thread use.

Thanks for the concluding reply.
One last thing: If I replace only my present CPU (AMDs Phenom (tm) II X2 555) with Phenom II X6 1100T, shell I have to Re-install my both the Operating systems?

Thanks for the concluding reply.
One last thing: If I replace only my present CPU (AMDs Phenom (tm) II X2 555) with Phenom II X6 1100T, shell I have to Re-install my both the Operating systems?
Probably not. Since architecture stays same and both are multi-core CPU's, I doubt reinstall is needed.

Back