Which is the best? (Internet Security and Antivirus)

Tazo The Vault

Hello guys, just wondering which Antivirus and Internet security programs you prefer.

AVG isn't working for me anymore, neither 9.0 or the newest 2011 version. (Both refuse to update, and not even their own tech support seems to know why).

So, I'm considering replacing this member of my security trinity (I was running it along with Threatfire and Malwarebytes!), and, rather than holding personal tryouts for all the potential I can find, I'd rather just see what the seniors think. :grinthumb

Let's hear it, who's the boss of Internet Security programs? All comments welcome.
(Unless it's about politics)

Thank you all that reply :)

Well, my AVG 2011 seems to update OK, it's the reboot it asks for after it does that's annoying.

That said, Microsoft Security Essentials seems to hold its own with most of the free offerings. It has a small resource usage footprint also.

When you say,"AVG isn't working", are you just referring to the updating issue only? Because if it's letting malware through, perhaps you should reconsider some of the web surfing choices you have been making.

AVG seems to like a really clean Windows installation also. I've had trouble in the past, coming from old versions of it, on old Windows installations.

Some people prefer the Avira free, and others the Avast. There's a lot of personal taste involved. A year or so there was a rather militant faction of Avira supporters here at TS.

I always run "NoScript" in Firefox, and that seems to help a great deal. So, I'm not really relying on only an AV product, to ward off scripting based attacks.

All of that notwithstanding, this senior likes the AVG. I'm guessing that's not the answer you were hoping for.

TS’s officially recommended free AV and other security tools are mentioned here:

https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

If you want more members’ opinions, just do a simple search of this section and you’ll find innumerable threads, and even more opinions, on the matter.

EDIT:
Well, my AVG 2011 seems to update OK, it's the reboot it asks for after it does that's annoying.
If AVG asks you to boot all the time, I'd give it the boot and with pleasure to boot.

...bobcat is no puss in boots.

That said, Microsoft Security Essentials seems to hold its own with most of the free offerings. It has a small resource usage footprint also.

When you say,"AVG isn't working", are you just referring to the updating issue only? Because if it's letting malware through, perhaps you should reconsider some of the web surfing choices you have been making.

AVG seems to like a really clean Windows installation also. I've had trouble in the past, coming from old versions of it, on old Windows installations.

Some people prefer the Avira free, and others the Avast. There's a lot of personal taste involved. A year or so there was a rather militant faction of Avira supporters here at TS.

I always run "NoScript" in Firefox, and that seems to help a great deal. So, I'm not really relying on only an AV product, to ward off scripting based attacks.

All of that notwithstanding, this senior likes the AVG. I'm guessing that's not the answer you were hoping for.

That's cool, and I do value your input. Wouldn't be much point in asking if I didn't :)

And by not working, It's not that it's letting malware through. Any that does happen to get through is stopped by malwarebytes anyway, so that's not what I'm worried about.

The problem is not only with its refusal to properly update (and by properly, I mean that the initial logon to windows, rebooted or otherwise, prompts it to ask to reboot for updates, and after said reboot, it will gently ask that i repeat the same action. again. and again.)
Not only that, but its resident shield is malfunctioning, ignoring my exclusions and selections and selfishly hoarding whatever it feels like into its vault.

I like AVG, and I wanted to keep using it, but until I find a solution to these problems, It's more of a hassle than a help. I'll give Avast and MS Essentials a try.

Thanks for your help!

Why don't you give the AVG Remover a try, followed by a reinstall of the program, before you condemn it completely? Get it here; http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Being unable to update security software is sometimes associated with malware running in the system. It couldn't hurt to do some preliminary scans as per the instructions in our malware forums; https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html If only for the peace of mind it might give you.

BTW, AVG hasn't asked for a reboot for a couple of days now. Perhaps they were just tweaking this version's installation, I suppose we'll see in due time.

I use Avast 4.8 Pro with Malwarebytes (Realtime protection aswell)...

Avast and Malwarebytes are a superb combination mate...Avast is so silent with running, not a peep if things are ok. It's also not as ram hungry as some other anti virus products.

Trying the AVG Removal Tool now. I won't say that I wasn't completely unaware of AVG's self-produced removal tool, nor will I say that it should have been obvious that they would have one and that my oversight resulted in a chunk of my day being wasted.
Nope. Not saying it.

I've tried the Avast 5.0 Pro edition, and it works nicely. Quite quietly, might I add. However, now that I potentially have AVG back on my side, now it becomes a choice of going back to my first choice or just sticking with this for the sake of not having to do any more at the moment.

Well, whatever the outcome of my war against laziness, I thank all who responded for their patient advice :)

If you are looking for other ideas...
I really like Avira, & Online Armor, as my core security.
Running on XPSp3

I use AVG + Comodo x64 Firewall; without any issues of any sort for a long while. That said, I think Online Armor is just as good as, so its your personal preference which may dictate your decision in this regard.

The only caveat I see is with regard to Comodo, it takes bit of learning curve and getting used to, once you've 'trained' it will do what it is designed to do.

Back