Which video card should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wojo731

I'm essentially completely lacking in computer knowledge, I really don't know much. I can understand the basics and look things up, but beyond that I'm really not sure. I just picked up a new comp, Lenovo IdeaCentre K230, and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card for gaming. Looking to spend about 200 bucks, give or take, but I really have no idea which to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 - it is a top of the line card,and The GTX 285 is a 55nm version of the 280, which was a graphics powerhouse, but the 285 can be at good discount prices online.

You would have to check if it is compatible with the lenova you have.

You need a new PSU for the PC if you plan on a new card. Also,what resolution you game at will also matter, since getting a GTX 285 for a 19" screen is an absolute waste of cash. The HD 4830 or HD 4850 should be more-or-less within your budget along with a new PSU like the OCZ SXS500, Corsair 450VX or Antec EA500.

I can't find a concensus on the power supply located inside, or if it has PCI-E.
You'd have to open the left side panel, and give me the info off the box at the back/top of the case. Including wattage and amperage numbers.

Also, I'd need you to look for this port: (The PCI-E 16x long one)

My PSU is 280 Watts Max
and at +12v its 18A, +5v 16A.

If it helps I have 6gbs of DDR2 RAM, and an Intel Pentium E5200 Dual-Core Processor.

And I also took a pic of the inside of my comp, but in order to post it I need one more post.

the PCI-E x16 looks fine, but you will probably need a new power supply anyway depending on the quality of your current power supply.

What games did you want to play? And what level of graphical detail?

COD4, WoW on highest settings (arena and raiding), Left4Dead, Fallout 3. Hopefully a higher if not highest graphical detail.

I was looking at getting the XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0 card wise,

and installing a Coolmax / CX-550B / Black / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply

Whatcha think?

I think you should go with a CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail power supply because it seems half the newegg reviews complain about their power supplies dying AND the powersupply has a low efficiency. The corsair is a much better choice.

Likewise, the 4870 512 should offer better performance at similar prices (last time I checked, but pricing is competitive) .

Try a SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

The power supply you recommended is only 400W, when the manufacturer's page for the vid card says it needs 500W minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back