White House announces over $42 billion to expand high-speed broadband access across the...

DragonSlayer101

Staff
In a nutshell: President Joe Biden has announced that his administration has allocated more than $42 billion to expand high-speed internet access across the country as part of the Broadband Equity Access and Deployment (BEAD) program. This allocation is a part of the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure law that was signed by the President in late 2021. The funding will be distributed among all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and U.S. territories, based on need.

The announcement kicked off the Biden administration's three-week "Investing in America" campaign, in which the President, Vice President Kamala Harris, various Cabinet members, and other senior officials will explain to the people how the allocated funds will be used to improve infrastructure in the country. Alongside high-speed internet, the bill will also fund various projects such as bridges, roads, water systems, and energy systems. Supporters of the law say that the money will help ensure safe travel and the efficient transport of goods across the country.

In a statement announcing the allocation of the federal funds, the White House said that the $42.45 billion funding will improve broadband access for the millions of people who live in underserved areas. It is expected to help all residents and small businesses across these regions to access reliable and affordable high-speed internet by the end of this decade.

Describing broadband as a necessity for Americans "to do their jobs, to participate equally in school, access health care, and to stay connected with family and friends," Biden compared the broadband funding to the investments made by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to bring electricity to rural America as part of the Rural Electrification Act.

The funding ranges from $27 million to $3.3 billion, with each state receiving at least $107 million. In all, 19 states received allocations of over $1 billion, with the biggest beneficiaries being Alabama, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Washington. According to the White House, the funding will not only allow millions of people to access high-speed internet, it will also support manufacturing jobs and bring in private sector investment across the nation.

In addition to BEAD, the infrastructure bill includes $14.2 billion for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which provides poorer households up to $30/month off their internet bill, as well as a one-time $100 grant to qualifying households to buy a desktop, laptop, or tablet computer. It also includes billions of dollars in funding for the Digital Equity Act and other programs to help bridge the digital divide.

Permalink to story.

And ISPs immediately started massive plans on how they can exploit these funds without really doing anything.
How about repair railroad tracks first so there is no more chemical spillage by "accident"?! Ah, I know, your digital information is more important to the Gov.
At least its something. The last administration gave nothing but lip-service to "infrastructure."

Also gotta send them trolling tweets faster. The misinformation. The propaganda.
The internet. High speed to the end of humanity. 50gbps twaternet.
Woooo.

But yeah is it still bad in the US that the pron is still buffering?

How about repair railroad tracks first so there is no more chemical spillage by "accident"?! Ah, I know, your digital information is more important to the Gov.
Train tracks in the US are private property and owned by the railroad company that uses them. Track maintenance is suppose to be included in the cost of shipping via rail

How many dozens of infastructre bills will it take before the government realizes that, without oversight, this bill will go straight into the c suites new yacht fund? We have spent hundreds of billions over the years and the infastructre still isnt there, meanwhile countries like China can roll out thousands of miles of track and entire cities in a few years. Because they must show results.
Railroads are not property of the US government.

How many dozens of infastructre bills will it take before the government realizes that, without oversight, this bill will go straight into the c suites new yacht fund? We have spent hundreds of billions over the years and the infastructre still isnt there, meanwhile countries like China can roll out thousands of miles of track and entire cities in a few years. Because they must show results.

Railroads are not property of the US government.

Yeah, but that china infuratrucure is really dodgy. If you complaining about corruption in USA. That’s nothing compared to china. Chinese companies cut so many courners, as long as it looks good on the surface.

Because all these ISP's need the money so they can give it to their CEO and executives instead of putting it into the infrastructure just like they did the last time this happened.

I argue they also need to spend on the bridges and streets too. Crap is falling apart everywhere and we're just throwing money at companies who already make more than enough to expand/grow. lol

How much is that per family in the USA? Sure could use that towards my 17000.00 family deductible. Thanks to the govt heath care aca that was supposed to reduce costs. Before that my family deductible was $500.

US govt is a cesspool of people getting rich with their buddies.

Because all these ISP's need the money so they can give it to their CEO and executives instead of putting it into the infrastructure just like they did the last time this happened.

I argue they also need to spend on the bridges and streets too. Crap is falling apart everywhere and we're just throwing money at companies who already make more than enough to expand/grow. lol
I pay $50 a month for 3MB/s DL 2300 to 1200 700 KB/s rest of the time and for pc gaming; streaming, and downloading that is plenty. And live in the country 10 miles from the closest town. I'd rather not waste my tax dollars on something so readily available either with LOS like me or via Satellite like I had before for $75 and a data cap.

This administration is the king of throwing money away. Because most of the people that benefit from what they keep doing, pay no taxes and don't work.

Back