Why Building a Gaming PC Right Now is a Good Idea: Good Timing, Great Hardware, Right...

Julio Franco

Staff member
Unless you are really strapped for cash, I would NOT recommend buying a 1060/6GB at this point in time. But you should be able to grab a 1070xx for just a few moar $$ and get a much better/faster card...

I recently got both cards for my son's gaming rig, which was running an older Radeon card, and after using both cards for 2 weeks, we sent the 1060 back, and he is so much happier with the 1070 :)

I have been holding out for quite a while. Debating if I should go 1070 or 1060... I'm open to suggestions.
In early 2017 I returned my EVGA 1070 for a MSI 1060 6GB because I wasn't seeing enough a of a gain to justify the price increase ($380 for the 1070, $250 for the 1060). I play at 1080p 60fps.

I'd suggest skipping both the 1060 and 1070. Instead I'd get an AMD RX 580 (here's one at Newegg for $220 with $20 MIR and 2 free games) or wait for the RTX 2060's which launch today. According to this review at TechPowerUp the RX 560 and 1060 6GB are neck and neck and the RTX 2060 is almost a GTX 1080. If they launch close to MSRP ($350) that's about what 1070's are going for today.

Actually the RTX2060 is looking to be a good buy, it's going to slightly more expensive than a GTX1060 but based upon Hardware Unboxed own videos it looks like it's going to be faster than a GTX1070.

I'll admit the price-to-performance of the RTX 2060, being %100 identical (not worse yay!) to the price-to-performance of the GTX 1060 along with Nvidia opening their cards to AMD's competing Freesync technology tickled my intestines a little bit to bite the bullet and build a rig, but the reasons to wait it out this year far outweigh the reasons not to.

RTX 20xx series is basically a refreshed GTX 10xx series with reflections in your games. The insignificance of Ray Tracing is only outshined by it's out-of-reach price. The technology wasn't available to game developers before or even when it was released, and the price is too much for gamers. It is basically by nincompoops, for fools and has absolutely nothing to do with gaming or gamers.

Each RTX card model is performing and priced equal to the next tier card in the previous generation, except the RTX 2060, again because it has the same price-to-performance as the GTX 1060. So the only reason to buy the RTX 2060 is because it's not worse than last generations cards as all the rest are.

Another reason to wait is the underwhelming Vega 7. It was designed for embedded applications first, games second. So I'll wait for a proper gaming card when they actually design one in the first place.

The most important reason to wait is to communicate your disapproval of the current state of the PC gaming industry. Everything they are doing is the exact opposite of what a gamer needs.

You want more performance for your dollar$? Why would you want that? check out the reflections in your game! Nice huh?

You want cooler hardware with lower TPD? wait wait, how about a ***kin disco ball on your desk!? Let's light it all up with RGB YAY! Let's RGB your headset and have a good laugh at ya suckers.

Wait for Nvidia's 7nm cards and for AMD's Navi cards.

Wait for Ryzen 3, sorry, Ryzen 3000. Corrected after the backlash. If only AMD cared as much as you guys do about their lost sales potential caused from the confusion.

9th Gen Intel is overpriced. Ryzen 1&2 IPC/single-core performance is not good for gaming.

Don't buy the crap they're trying to feed you.

Last edited:
What is considered "normal"? If the mining stupidity didn't happen, I don't believe we would even be talking about the video cards of 2+ years ago like now. Wouldn't they also be like half of what the used market is trying to sell them for?

Have any of us gamers seen any benefit to the millions of dollars dumped into the video card companies (R&D) such as big technology gains? Or did the company officers and retailers just soak up the cash?

…….<snip>.......Or did the company officers and retailers just soak up the cash?
this is the way business is done today. I want my money, I want it today, don't care about tomorrow, will sell you anything for as much as possible whether you need it or not, if I can convince you to buy it, I will.
Selling refrigerators to people living near the North Pole? Today that is a business opportunity (even if they don't have electricity up there). Selling banking services to 90 year old grannies that neither need nor comprehend what you are selling, but they trust you (it's a bank, aren't they trustworthy?) so they buy it, great development for the bank, result, increase the sales quota not discipline those who do it.
very sad today

After watching countless video reviews of the 8700K vs the 9700K and 9900K on Youtube, the 8700K is the way to go.
It bests the 9700K and 9900K in many games, loses to them very little, and offers a more future proof build for cheaper. I am really turned off by the 9700K being a 8/8.
IMO the 8700K being a 6/12 will have better value and performance now, and in the future. The 9700K is a glorified i5.

After watching countless video reviews of the 8700K vs the 9700K and 9900K on Youtube, the 8700K is the way to go.
It bests the 9700K and 9900K in many games, loses to them very little, and offers a more future proof build for cheaper. I am really turned off by the 9700K being a 8/8.
IMO the 8700K being a 6/12 will have better value and performance now, and in the future. The 9700K is a glorified i5.
Exactly. I'm glad that I went with the 8700K in my build, it's been proven to be an absolute beast in terms of performance. I used to have an overclocked Core i5 3570K and this new 8700K system that I have absolutely kills my old system.

I have been holding out for quite a while. Debating if I should go 1070 or 1060... I'm open to suggestions.
Normally I would say 'Depends...', but currently in most countries Vega 56 is better value than 1070 and radeon rx 580 8gb better value than 1060. Personally for 1080p I'd get rx580 8gb, but if you have money don't worry and buy vega 56, it's a great card!

Where? Usa? Maybe! On europe:

- 2x8gb 3000mhz (wich hurts ryzen performamce) - 150€

- gtx 1060 3gb (3gb is short) - 250€

- ryzen 2600 - 170€ (good price on this)

Is this cheap for a rig that can barely offer 60fps 1080p high settings in modern games? Nop, it isnt thats why ps4 pro 300€ with god of war + 2 controllers sells more here than pc parts.

Dont only account for US prices. And if want better hardware good luck, even more expensive.

Last edited:

Why would anyone consider a 1060 at all? It's more expensive, slower and has less onboard memory than a 580.

Unless you have specific reasons, possibly power related?

Actually, you could say almost the same about the 1070 given the Vega56 is cheaper and quicker but memory is the same. Power draw is probably a good chunk greater here though.

Why would anyone consider a 1060 at all? It's more expensive, slower and has less onboard memory than a 580.

Unless you have specific reasons, possibly power related?

Actually, you could say almost the same about the 1070 given the Vega56 is cheaper and quicker but memory is the same. Power draw is probably a good chunk greater here though.
Where are you getting those prices for the Vega? Every place I look has it $100 or more than the 1070... but yeah, if you can get it cheaper, it's the clear winner...

Wait for Nvidia's 7nm cards and for AMD's Navi cards.

Wait for Ryzen 3.

9th Gen Intel is overpriced. Ryzen 1&2 IPC/single-core performance is not good for gaming.

Don't buy the crap they're trying to feed you.

Absolutely disagree with Ryzen single core performance being no good for gaming. It's perfectly good, in fact it's very good, it's just not as good as Intel.

If you really must buy now, go cheap and upgrade later. Get Ryzen on decent B450/X470 board and a cheap RX570. Ryzen 3 will drop in with a bios update.

Otherwise, wait 6 months as you say, for Navi/Ryzen3 (Zen2) and anything nVidia may drop by then.

Where? Usa? Maybe! On europe:

- 2x8gb 3000mhz (wich hurts ryzen performamce) - 150€

- gtx 1060 3gb (3gb is short) - 250€

- ryzen 2600 - 170€ (good price on this)

Is this cheap for a rig that can barely offer 60fps 1080p high settings in modern games? Nop, it isnt thats why ps4 pro 300€ with god of war + 2 controllers sells more here than pc parts.

Dont only account for US prices. And if want better hardware good luck, even more expensive.

That´s something US or AUS people usually do. They forget about us in Europe, where prices are always more expensive, while console prices are the same as US. You said 150€ for 2x8gb ram , but if you want anything decent at 3200mhz you can´t for less than 180€-200€. And we all know how much ram affects Ryzen performance.

Also the RTX 2060 is 430€ where I live, for a freaking mid range card that isn´t even in the top 5, performance wise. Shocking.

Why do people keep saying the 2060 isnt good? Did I miss something, it performs better than a 1070 n may get you 1080 like performance.

For god sake will people stop saying Ryzen 3 when they mean Zen 3. Ryzen is just the processor, Zen is the architect.

Doesnt Navi start coming out in Feb. with the Radeon 7 which is suppose to give 2080 performance or even beat it?

Why do people keep saying the 2060 isnt good? Did I miss something, it performs better than a 1070 n may get you 1080 like performance.

For god sake will people stop saying Ryzen 3 when they mean Zen 3. Ryzen is just the processor, Zen is the architect.

Doesnt Navi start coming out in Feb. with the Radeon 7 which is suppose to give 2080 performance or even beat it?

Because Zen2 is the codename according to AMD?
Ryzen 2 is just a refresh of Zen1

Because Zen2 is the codename according to AMD?
Ryzen 2 is just a refresh of Zen1

There is no Ryzen 2. There is only Ryzen 3, 5 and 7. Zen (ryzen 1000 series), Zen+ (ryzen 2000 series), Zen2 (ryzen 3000 series).

Back