Why does Windows do this to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverzero89

i did the upgrade from vista to win7 Home Premium through the HP upgrade program. and here is my problem: when windows turns off the moniter and i move the mouse to go turn it back on i can't do anything, the comp doesn't freeze i just can't click highlight icons, get to the taskbar(i have it set to autohide). anyone know of this prblem and maybe a fix? for the record this also happens on my other 7 machine.

its not a graphics card issue, its gotta be something in th os. but just to humor you the card is a 9500 gt. on my other machine its onboard video.

my system specs are in the drop down.

Did you upgrade them both?

It might pay to try a fresh install of Windows 7 on at least one of them and see if that resolves the issue. I have found some interesting crashes with the Vista > Windows 7 upgrading system

i have tried bot a clean install and upgrade on both 32 and 64 bit systems. i have a workaround in place, but id like this to work the way its supposed to.

And this only started happening in Windows 7?

It works perfectly fine in Vista? Just trying to narrow down whether its hardware or software :)

Hm, funny thing it is.

Windows 7 still is relatively new to me technician wise :) so I'm interested to hear of the emerging problems with it

Could possibly be a driver issue?

Do you have any minidumps, should be in

Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows > Minidump

See if you can grab a couple in there and upload them in your next reply so I can have a lookie :D

man how come i never think to google this stuff, i just come straight here. but its not a crash, if i wait about 2-5 minutes everything works fine.

heres the event viewer log if that would help

Warning 12/9/2009 7:48:24 PM Search 3036 Gatherer
Information 12/9/2009 6:44:31 PM VSS 8224 None
Information 12/9/2009 6:39:55 PM CAPI2 4097 None
Information 12/9/2009 6:36:51 PM VSS 8224 None
Information 12/9/2009 6:34:37 PM Windows Error Reporting 1001 None
Information 12/9/2009 6:33:38 PM System Restore 8194 None
Error 12/9/2009 6:33:10 PM SideBySide 63 None
Error 12/9/2009 6:32:43 PM SideBySide 35 None
Error 12/9/2009 6:30:22 PM SideBySide 33 None
Warning 12/9/2009 5:19:56 PM Search 3036 Gatherer
Information 12/9/2009 5:14:45 PM Security-SPP 903 None
Warning 12/9/2009 5:13:52 PM RPC (Microsoft-Windows-RPC-Events) 11 None

I must admit i haven't done too much with Windows 7 yet, myself - short of creating an XP / Windows 7 dual boot and then finding myself always booting to XP! (After years of learning the in's / out's and nuances of XP i don't wanna switch to an unknown horizon till i have to! LOL)

But as to your problem
when windows turns off the moniter and i move the mouse to go turn it back on i can't do anything,
Sounds like it might be a Windows 7 power management issue.
> What have you done as a work around?
> Am i correct to assume you have a USB mouse?
> Try not allowing Windows to let USB devices sleep. See if that affects your problem

In Device Manager, rt click each Root Hub, select Properties. Click Power Management tab. Then uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Reboot. Does the problem stay the same?

let me go over my symptoms once more just to make sure were on the same page.
when 7 turns the screen back on(these are from the settings under power options where you can select how log the it takes for the monitor to go off) and when it i shake the mouse to turn it back on i can move the mouse pointer, but i just can't do anything, like highlight icons and click on my taskbar, and after a few minutes it goes back to normal. was that explanation clear?

my work around is to use wizmo(a damn nifty little tool, if i do say so myself)
i do use a usb mouse but thats the device i use to turn the monitor back on so i don't think windows is powering it down.

lookinaround, that horizon is coming up fast because sooner, rather than later, MS will stop supporting xp altogether. that and win 7 is so much better in just about every way. i love it:)

my work around is to use wizmo(a damn nifty little tool, if i do say so myself)
i do use a usb mouse but thats the device i use to turn the monitor back on so i don't think windows is powering it down.

Let me re-phrase the problem.. as i understand it, you move the mouse
> The monitor turns back on
> The cursor moves with the mouse movements?
> But you essentially can't "click" on things?

Or, in any case, more basically, sounds like your USB mouse might be working (somewhat) but not the way you'd expect? Which could also be explained by Windows either
> Not resuming a USB device correctly and/or
> It's not "fully resumed" and functional for some period of time

In any case, it's easy enough (and worth) stopping Windows from suspending USB at all to rule out it being any part of your problem

i also have a ps/2 mouse connected(Just in case my battery goes dead or something) and it wasn't working with that either, but i will try what you suggested. oh and thanks btw.

Just to know, do you have a screensave enabled and if so is it set to start before or after the monitor turns off? I know most versions of Windows have some fault with the screensavers doing whacky things.

Well I'll be damned if I would have any idea what would be causing this unless this is some hardware problem. I hope you figure this out because I know this would be something that would leave me banging my head into the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back