1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is my FPS so low

By Jeroen18ps
Jul 4, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone, to start off, I'm new here and I'm from holland so my english isn't that well

I've got a question about my lacking FPS rate,

My friend and I both build our pc's at the same time, w both got the same motherboard (ASRock AB350M), and the same ram modules of 8 gigs in dual channel mode, running the same speeds. I have a PSU of 600W, and his is 400W, I've got a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU, and he has the ryzen 5 1600 CPU. As GPU I have the MSI GTX 1060 with 8Gigs of Vram, and he has the MSI 1050 Ti with 4gigs of Vram

But what is so weird is that he has a way higher fps rate, he is running games in the 150's while mine struggels to get up to 40, at first I thougst is was weird but didn't think much of it, but now it's obvious something is wronf, and I really don't know what...

Hopefully someone can help, it would be amazing

ps: we both have 2 monitors of 1080p

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,062   +1,187

Please start by checking degree of detail - if you are running ultra detail with 'hair', that could 'slow' you down.

3. Tims Tech

Tims Tech TS Rookie

Your graphics settings on games may be playing a factor. Also, update all your drivers, often updated drivers will deliver great performance increases. Are you both running the same operating system? Feel free to send me a message and I'll see waht I can do to help you further

4. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Evangelist Posts: 538   +133

Apart from whats already been said above, check your temperatures on your CPU and GPU. Thermal throttling is a possibility and it may reduce your performance in game significantly.

Also, it could be an issue of bloated windows installation/malware infection.

I'd take into consideration a fresh Windows 10 install after checking all the graphic settings/temps.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...