Why is Win7 constantly updating?

LambofGod

Now of course Windows is always making updates,and you should keep your OS up to date,but my computer I built is constantly updating to the point it is doing it almost every time I turn off the computer/turning it back on pretty much a comical amount of updating that it's actually making me curious if somethings actually messed up.

Windows 7 comes with Windows Defender and THAT component is downloading what are known as signatures of known virus'

You have some choices on how to take updates, including just install them & don't bother me.
Personally, I review each and every KB included in the updates and make decision as to whether I hide it, ignore it, or install it.

Your mileage may vary . . .

Now of course Windows is always making updates,and you should keep your OS up to date,but my computer I built is constantly updating to the point it is doing it almost every time I turn off the computer/turning it back on pretty much a comical amount of updating that it's actually making me curious if somethings actually messed up.

if you want to download all available updates at once, click windows update, then select all important and optional updates, then click install.
after installation is finished, you may be prompted to restart to complete the process.

windows xp/vista/7/8 have regular monthly update release cycle called patch tuesday (second tuesday of each month).
windows defender/microsoft security essentials are updated once virus definitions are available.
if microsoft deems it necessary, critical updates are released asap.

My guess - they are "security" updates. I check my update logs regularly and about 80% - 90% of the updates are for security holes. I think I have had more security updates for Windows 7 in a year and a 1/3 than I did with 10 years of XP. So much for a more secure system.

Back