Why my Internet goes off when I download something

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhakar_karnat

Hi All,

I am facing a peculiar problem. I have an internet connection of 256kbps and i download movies via torrent..Earlier i used to download movies by flashget and i used to set the option in flashget so that whenever download completes system shuts down automatically but recently whenever i download anything in flashget or Auzures my internet connection is going off.

Suppose if i start downloading a movie my internet connection goes off with in 10 minutes..To up the connection i disable the Local area connection and it goes to not responding mode and i restart the machine(it never restarts by its own i have to press the restart button on my CPU) and then internet goes up...It is really bugging me..

Recently i have formatted my machine still same problem facing..I think the problem is with my System not with my internet service provider..

this problem happens only when i download something...If i do only browsing it does not happen

Do i have to change the LAN card for this???

Please help me..

I have posted my problem in many forums but i did not get any solution..Hoping that this time i get a solution..

I have posted my problem in many forums but i did not get any solution..Hoping that this time i get a solution..
I think this is because, all looks ok until you are downloading movies via torrent. And no one wants to jump up and help, when this could be some illegal activity. (unknown you see)

In my view, you are being kicked off, by someone logged into your computer (basically many of these sharing programs are not safe, but others are)
Which torrent software are you using, and where are the movies comming from?

Thanks Kimsland for your reply...

This happens not only while downloading movies but it happens when i do downloading even from a trustworthy site like download.com and etc..

My network driver is nvidia nforce networking controller my motherboard is GIGABYTE
i think i have LAN card in-built..

In my Network connection system folder i have two icons one is 1394 and another Local area connection(this is configured to my internet connection)

Point is it happens if i start downloading..

Please help me..

Thanks & Regards,
Sudhakar Karnati

You didn't answer my questions - which concerns me (ie the answers, and any more questions I might ask)

Please put your System Specs in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

I need this (specs) to confirm your drivers are up to date, especially your network drivers.
I would also advise you to run Windows update, to confirm all security updates have been done.

Hi Kimsland,

Here is my system specations:
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 448 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
CPU Speed: 1111.3 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio output
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1152 X 864 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: G: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-16A1P
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 19.5GB | D: 39.1GB | E: 39.1GB | F: 51.4GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 13.7GB | D: 13.5GB | E: 32.0GB | F: 10.3GB
USB Controllers: 2 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.
Product Make:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/17/06 | GBT - 42302e31
Time Zone: India Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-M51GM-S2G
Modem: Not detected

I checked my device manager under this for my NVIDIA nForce networking controller in properties under power management tab the option "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked and how it should be? Should it be checked or unchecked?

I cannot stop my self from appreciating this forum it is awesome...

Thanks & Regards,
Sudhakar Karnati

Well the Xp Driver for your network here: http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_chipset_nvidia_c51.exe
Came out in June 2006 ! So I suspect yours is Ok

By the way here's your Motherboard's home page: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2281

My only thought is for you to reload your Torrent program (ie remove first)
And also possibly re-install any 3rd party firewall (Internet Security) program you may have installed. (Hopefully you have installed !!)

"Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
Please Un-Check. Then restart (just in case)

I cannot stop my self from appreciating this forum it is awesome...
That's good to hear. Especially seeming there's a TechSpot in India http://techspot.in/ (although they are very slow at replying !!)

Anyway, if you continue to post here, with any other issues, you really should update your Profile (as I have mentioned)

:)

Hi Kimsland,

My only thought is for you to reload your Torrent program (ie remove first)
I have completely uninstalled torrent program from my machine.

Well the Xp Driver for your network here:
And i tried to download this by using flashget download manager and the problem started my internet connection went off after 5MB had downloaded.

Here i am attaching some more screen shots of my system settings in a word document..Please see this document..

Anyway, if you continue to post here, with any other issues, you really should update your Profile (as I have mentioned)

I have updated my profle with the information as much as i know but still i could not fill these fields like cooling(I guess this is a technique used to bring down operating temperature of mother board and other devices)

Please Un-Check. Then restart (just in case)

I have unchecked the option "Allow computer to turn off this "

There is no torrent software running on my machine still had this problem when i tried to download driver software..

Please help me out from this problem...:confused:

Thanks & Regards,
Sudhakar Karnati

Hi Kimsland,

I am back with the same issue..

Anyway go to here: tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Moth...ProductID=2281

Scroll down to "Chipset / LAN / SATA RAID" and select the 4th one down

I downloaded the software from here and i installed and it asked for Active armor firewall and i said yes for this but i turned off that fire wall..

Should i turn on that firewall..

still i am facing the same problem..

More details about my system..

I use Flahget download manager to download software..and the antivirus i use is AVAST..

Please help me out..
The only one you didn't comment on was the India link ! (I suppose the no comment, was the comment )

I opened that website and had a look at the forums and observed that there are no t so prompt replies like here..

After installing the drivers downloaded from the above link in my system tray Active armor icon crossed with red lines is displaying and when i keep the mouse on that icon a test appears like:Active Armor firewall profile : off

First i thought the problem might be because of flash get but even when i update java version also i am facing this problem..

Do you think this problem is with the hardware or software??

If you really want more details i can give my system IP(I know it is not a matter for you to know my IP) and access to connect you to my machine remotely(If that is possible i dont know)

Details about probelm : when i start download something what ever may be the size of file the LAN icon in system tray will stop blinking and interenet goes off..Nest step i do is right click on the LAN icon and select disable the moment i select disable option the only one light glows in the icon(sending terminal) and i restart the machine and after that both lights glow and then internet is up..

Can you please suggest me a software which helps me to view which content is coming in to my machine and what content is going to where and from where i am getting..I am asking this because this way i can track if there is anything that i am not aware of software running in background may be accessing internet and resulting in Net down

Please help me...

I don't need your IP, but run command ipconfig can help at times, but I believe this error is in relation to your software. (ie other than large downloads, all is ok)

I suspect the fault must be in either your Firewall (Avast) or likely flashget.

You could as a test use Firefox (if not already) and use the addon Flashgot. Which seems to be a hell of a lot better and safer than Flashget.

As a test please do the above. A google search on both will give the correct links.
Then go ahead and try again.
Note: torrent files don't use Flashget or Firefox or IE, they have their own built in download manager. I wonder if your Flashget may be causing issues with it

On that comment, if you don't mind terribly much, I prefer you actually remove FlashGet entirely. And test again

Hi Kimsland,

I am sorry to say this i am still facing the problem..

Till now i was using firefox now i am using Internet explorer and i completely removed flashget..

My doubt is there might be a software running on background which i dont know is triggered by some or other and it eventually disconnecting my interenet..Can you suggest me a software or tool with the help of which i can monitor what are processes running in backgroun(I think we can use Task manager..but i dont see any process which is not familiar to me)

And also can you suggest me a tool which shows me what all are accessing my internet apart from browser..

Please help me..Today i contacted my Internet Service provider even he had no idea about what is happening and he suggested me to use extrernal LAN card what do you say about this?

Thanks & Regards,
Sudhakar Karnati

What's Running
http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

Yes it could be a hardware issue with your network card
You could do a few things in that area too.
1. Confirm latest drivers loaded
2. Confirm all network settings (this is where the ipconfig comes in)
3. Remove the card from Device Manager, restart, then re-install the drivers again
4. Plug in another Network card to test with that

Also it's recommended not to have too many background services running. An easy option is to download Startup Control Panel and untick not required startups.

Another good measuse is to have your computer always running clean of temporary files. Use CCleaner for this

Generally on tech boards, it is a good idea to attach a HiJackThis log, which can show other startups that are not normally seen by the user

There is also another file called Hosts (that can allow bad ports to be open) You can view ports open with t h i s program, you can also reset your Hosts file with this program HostXpert

There's a few things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back