Why's mine faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

My friend just got a new computer. Vista rates the cpu .1 points faster than mine, the ram .4 points faster, and the primary hard disk .2 points faster. But mine is much faster all around to use. Even things like opening the control panel are faster. The only better thing about mine is that mine has 128 mb more ram, and a much better video card. And he has much less stuff on his than I have on mine. Is there any reason why mine would be significantly faster than his?

Mine: pentium d 925 3ghz, 2 gb ddr2 667, gforce 8600 w/ 512 mb VRAM, hitachi deskstar 320 gig primary drive, and 120 gig wd secondary drive.

My friends: amd athlon x2 4200 2.4 ghz, 1.83 gb ddr2 667 DC, 400 gb hdd, and integrated gforce 6100 gpu w/ shared VRAM.

The specs never tell the whole story....

How many programs are running at startup, and how much load is your Anti-Virus placing on the system are just as important as raw specifications.

We both have norton 2008 Internet security, I have rocket dock run at startup, which Uses about 10mb ram, I have google talk, and he has windows sidebar, and that's it, other than all those windows processes.

SIDEBAR!!!!! Take that out of his startup - that thing is a resource sinkhole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back