Wi-Fi System Roundup 2020: Wi-Fi 6 Update

Can you do some wireless latency tests with these routers? For gamers, streamers etc. latency is far more interesting than achieving 100s of Mbs. WiFi Meshes can add a lot more latency to WiFi which people don't often expect.

Wireless latency varies greatly between routers, distance and endpoints. EG:

Running a ping test in powershell with 'ping bbc.co.uk -t'.

With my ISP provided router (BT HomeHub) I averaged 9ms, with occasional spikes upto 30-40ms. The spikes being the typical wireless interference etc.

With my new ASUS RT-86U I averaged 6ms, with much less occasional spikes upto 16ms.

This is a huge improvement in gaming because now I get less stutters and ping warnings in Rainbow Six Siege, CoD Warzone. And just generally a better experience.

-------

I'd like to have WiFi 6, but at the moment this review doesn't help me at all without latency tests since my house is just full of gamers.

We have the Linksys Velop it’s been an absolute pain in the ***. Internet speeds are fine, the same as our previous router, but for some reason the in-home wifi speeds have dropped through the floor.

I play Steam Link on my iPad streamed from a wired gaming PC and the connection is very choppy when I’m sat in the same room as the router, barely usable if I’m in the bedroom.

Using the ac wifi on my gaming PC nets speeds that would be fast for 2004, connecting the ethernet and it’s back up to 150mb/s.

As a great bonus the router only has one LAN port. Will be buying a replacement asap.

Please use the correct measurements. 3000mbps when you mean 3gbps. We have these measurements for a reason.

Also latency is a far more useful measurement at this point in bandwidth, just like with SSDs and high speed internet.

Great article, well written, However...without adding EERO to the mix this article does the community and all who read it an injustice. EERO benchmarks blow this and 99% of all competitors out of the water.

Back