Wii Wireless Network Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

The message under the forum says consoles allowed, so please don't bite my head off. So I have a Wii, and a wireless router. Naturally, I want to play online games, such as Super Smash Brothers Brawl. "Error with Connection!" Oh boy, what a huge surprise. I check the code on Nintendo's support site, well ain't that just my luck. Apparently, my Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless Router is one of only 3 routers in the world, that apparently don't support the Wii. Yeah, just my luck. I tried just about everything that was in their support page, but please feel free to post some ideas from their site, which is somewhat confusing, due to their lack of specification on the matter. Please DO NOT send me a link to their support page. I don't want to go through that whole thing again... Also, I know I could buy a LAN adapter or a USB adapter, but as stated at their site, the problem will continue anyway, basically saying, get a new router or hook it directly to the modem. (Neither of which is really an option.) Is their anyway that I can configure my router to work with the Wii?

Thanks in advance! And if you need more information, I'll be glad to post it.

the network configuration for Wii cites
Allowing TCP and UDP Traffic:
The Wii console may require unrestricted access to several sites across various ports and protocols to function correctly. These addresses and ports vary, and may change in the future without notice. Many software firewalls restrict outbound access. Only if your firewall blocks outbound traffic do you need to enable this traffic:

TCP:
Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443

UDP:
Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play). Our Network Test tool can be used from a computer behind your firewall to test if outbound UDP is allowed.

Please note that by allowing the traffic to the destinations listed above, you are essentially removing a significant amount of firewall protection for your network. While Nintendo provides this information for our consumers' use, it is up to each consumer to determine what security needs they have for their own networks, and to decide how best to configure their network settings to meet those needs.

I would think LOOOONNNNGGGGG and hard about opening up my system like this.

Play games INSIDE your LAN, not with your buddies down the street !!

I know you said you tried what the web pages said, but you neither linked then nor explained what they stated. So that leaves 90% of us (that don't want to go search nintendo support pages) out wondering what you tried. I would say change wireless channels to one of the extremes, but maybe you already tried that, you didn't say so I don't know.

If so, and it didn't work, then I'd say perhaps Nintendo is right, and you just need a different router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back