Will not read hard drive

the battery holder on my motherboard went out,so i fixed it. After i started it up and made sure it worked, i put another harddrive in it and now it does want to read anything and it wont read my cd burner either...

When you remove the battery, the CMOS resets to default configuration. You might try checking if the BIOS is set to the correct drive mode. (IDE or SATA/AHCI)

It depends on your MoBo. Try pressing F2,DEL,Esc when your computer is booting Up. If no one of these keys won't work you might wanna to check out your Mobo on the web and find out which key is correct.

If you don't know you MoBo's model you can go to dxdiag by pressing start>run>dxdiag or start>dxdiag for vista/7. There is also a software called 'SPECCY' you can download it easily it's free. It will let you see all your hardware.

Good luck.

Remove the battery, the CMOS resets to default configuration. You might try checking if the BIOS is set to the correct drive mode. This depends on your MOBO. Press f2, del and esc when your computing is booting up.

Reset the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard. Or, if you can't find it/don't want to do that then just pull the battery again, unplug from the wall, and press the power button (perhaps a couple times for good measure). Then put the battery back in and plug it in and start up.

Also go through and see that everything is set properly in the BIOS so it does see the drives (example - turn off RAID if you aren't using the drives in RAID).

My post seems redundant in part, because the dude double posted and I replied to the 'other' one before seeing the one with replies. I've merged the threads now.

it said invalid configuration information - please run setup program
performing automatic ide config
primary master: ide disk drfived
strike f1 to continue, f2 to run setup utility

The battery holder has 2 metal contacts. These contacts are soldered to the motherboard. Are these contacts broken?

they were, so i replaced it a few minnutes ago and ended up with this message:

invalid configuration information - please run setup program
performing automatic ide config
primary master: ide disk drfived
strike f1 to continue, f2 to run setup utility

You will need to press F2 and make sure the time, date and year are correct, The check the boot order for CDROM first, hard drive second boot device

Back