Will the CPU work on my mobo?

DjKraid

Hi!

So I have this little problem, I can't see this CPU on the CPU support list...and I can't find any information about the CPU either...

Mobo:
MSI MS-7142 (that's what dxdiag says)
but on the mobo it says K8MM-V
"new" CPU (full text):
SDA3200DI03BP
LBBLY 0517APPW
Z641318D50235

So can anyone say if it will work and what the "new" CPUs specs are?

P.S. The CPU that is now installed is a Sempron 2600+ @ 1.6GHz

I don't know about the CPU.

But, the discrepancy between the mobo numbers might be explicable if your computer is a prebuilt unit. MSI boards carry an OEM part number when they're installed in a store bought unit. This number is quite different from what MSI would call the same board, if you bought it at retail.

MSI has two model naming/number schemes for the same motherboard. The model number is the MS-xxxx number and the model name would be the K8MM-V. The model name is descriptive and tells you some information about the board such as the CPU it supports. I don't remember the actual breakdown of the letters and numbers and what they all mean but it's on the MSI website somewhere.

From the information given, I also don't know anything about the new CPU or what it actually is.

The CPU you listed is as follows;

Manufacturer : Compaq
Part Number : SDA3200DI03BP
Description : Processor,Sempron 3200+ 1.8/256/939

Sounds to me like a 1.8 GHz (256KB L2 Cache), Socket 939 Part.

Our college has come to the conclusion that this is a Compac pre built computer. As such, you can not rely on the CPU compatibility chart listed at the MSI website. If this is a Compac machine, the CPU choices you have will probably be much more limited, likely to the range of the CPUs that your model originally shipped with.

I don't remember where I got the CPU from, I have had too many 939s so I can't remember the origin of them all :/
anyway the computer where I'm planning on putting the new CPU in is built / put together by some small company and was originally built for a school and now I got it as spare parts because the mobo was dead...or actually the schools admin never checked / repaired computers...anyhow the only thing I did to it was (first bios reset / clear cmos) flashed the BIOS and haven't had any problems after that :)

I don't get it, 2600+ goes at 1.6GHz aND 3200+ goes at 1.8GHz? -what does the ****+ number really mean..?

Afaik, the XXXX+ ratings were gigahertz equivalents compared to a P4. I remember reading many a game box asking for a 3 GHz or Athlon 3000+ equivalent processors.

I don't get it, 2600+ goes at 1.6GHz aND 3200+ goes at 1.8GHz? -what does the ****+ number really mean..?
AMds CPUs ran at slower clock speeds than their Intel contemporaries. Intel had won the propaganda battle, and the clock speed was the first thing the sprang into the customer's mind.

AMD CPUs accomplished more operations per clock cycle than the Intels, so AMD assigned those numbers to indicate that an "Athlon 3000", while having a basic clock speed slower than an Intel @ 3.0Ghz, would do the same amount of work.

The clock speed issue sort of went into suspended animation when the first Intel C2Ds were released. Their philosophy was more operations per clock cycle, more in keeping with AMDs design strategy.

Redk had the right answer, but his explanation was a bit truncated.

thx for the explanation about the +XXXX, now I'm once again a bit wiser :)

You want to know something funny...now one has noticed that the mobo has socket 754 and not 939 :D

Back