Will this PC work?

That's a pretty sketchy power supply, I wouldn't use it.
That is OK, but I think it would be easier for you if you just got a wifi enabled motherboard.

Yea I was originally going with the Corsair 430w, but this one received good reviews for a lower price.
I don't think we're able to get a WiFi enabled board so I'll stick with the card.
Thanks for the help!
~Jack

Might I make an alternative suggestion to some of your items just based on a few things that caught my eye. The AM3+ platform is kinda dated and old plus has had alot of support dropped with an unknown future for expanding on it so I have a few ideas you might like while messing around with a 500 Euro Budget. Here is what I came up with, note that all I am trying to do is maximize your budget and give you some good expand-ability options for later.

CPU: Athlon X4 760K 59.71
Motherboard: Gigabyte A88X M-ITX Motherboard with Built in Wifi 79.06 (Note, I only went M-ITX since you wanted Wireless, but I built a friend a PC with this board and its very nice!)
Case & PSU: EVGA Hadron Case and PSU Combo M-ITX (500Watt Gold Rated PSU) 162.13
DVD Drive: Same Lite On 12.94
GPU: Same XFX HD 7770 With Mouse 98.12
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 65.76

Total: 528.24

This was just something I threw together based on your price range and what you selected previously. I was trying to maximize your budget and give you a little room for improvement later. The advantage here will just be a better overall platform (A88X vs AM3+) for expanding later and a smaller machine that you can move easily with you and has Built in Wifi. This is just a suggestion but could be worthwhile to at least look over. Hope this helps!

Other than what HK mentioned, nice build. I didn't notice any incompatibilities.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it
~Jack

Might I make an alternative suggestion to some of your items just based on a few things that caught my eye. The AM3+ platform is kinda dated and old plus has had alot of support dropped with an unknown future for expanding on it so I have a few ideas you might like while messing around with a 500 Euro Budget. Here is what I came up with, note that all I am trying to do is maximize your budget and give you some good expand-ability options for later.

CPU: Athlon X4 760K 59.71
Motherboard: Gigabyte A88X M-ITX Motherboard with Built in Wifi 79.06 (Note, I only went M-ITX since you wanted Wireless, but I built a friend a PC with this board and its very nice!)
Case & PSU: EVGA Hadron Case and PSU Combo M-ITX (500Watt Gold Rated PSU) 162.13
DVD Drive: Same Lite On 12.94
GPU: Same XFX HD 7770 With Mouse 98.12
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 65.76

Total: 528.24

This was just something I threw together based on your price range and what you selected previously. I was trying to maximize your budget and give you a little room for improvement later. The advantage here will just be a better overall platform (A88X vs AM3+) for expanding later and a smaller machine that you can move easily with you and has Built in Wifi. This is just a suggestion but could be worthwhile to at least look over. Hope this helps!

Really appreciate the suggestions! I will start taking a look at them properly and see what I can do with the build. I wasn't aware that the AM3+ were dated and have already been playing around with the CPU for awhile so I'll definitely look into the Athlon X4 760K

Thanks again for the reply,
~Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Really appreciate the suggestions! I will start taking a look at them properly and see what I can do with the build. I wasn't aware that the AM3+ were dated and have already been playing around with the CPU for awhile so I'll definitely look into the Athlon X4 760K

Thanks again for the reply,
~Jack
The processors and motherboards are still ok, they just don't contain features that other newer boards offered by Intel and on the AMD FM2 line have. AM3+ has not been updated since over a year and a half ago in terms of new motherboards, features, etc plus the performance of the FM2 CPU Athlon X4 is just as good as the FX 4300 and both are unlocked. I was just thinking when you said you wanted a wifi card that an ITX board with built in Wifi would fit you perfectly.

The only problem is I was hoping to build in an mATX or ATX enclosure. Is there a bigger motherboard that will take the X4 760K and the Wifi card? Just wondering, the mITX idea is still plausible.

Just as another question, do you possibly know what the deal is with the BIOS update that could be needed for both AM3 and FM2 motherboards? The website I'm buying the parts from has said that either could require an update.

The only problem is I was hoping to build in an mATX or ATX enclosure. Is there a bigger motherboard that will take the X4 760K and the Wifi card? Just wondering, the mITX idea is still plausible.

Just as another question, do you possibly know what the deal is with the BIOS update that could be needed for both AM3 and FM2 motherboards? The website I'm buying the parts from has said that either could require an update.
Ok first ill answer that below, so ill start with the second question:
If the motherboard is an FM2+ motherboard (A88X would be the one I would get personally) then you will not have to worry about that as they will default support the chips on the market. With AM3+, the same thing goes so long as its a 900 Series chipset. There are some AM3+ 760G chipset boards that do not have the support for the FX Vishera series of chips (IE the FX 4300 and up) even though they will work with it after you put the latest version of the bios on. The board you were looking at should not have any problems if you go with the AM3+ platform.

As for alternative suggestions, here's one I think is nice, though if you don't go with an M-ITX you can't have built in Wifi meaning you will need a separate card.

Heres a couple Boards based on size:
MATX:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-hdmi-matx

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...gb-s-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-matx

ATX:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx (One of the top powerhouse boards offered on FM2+)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Honestly, any of these boards if you go with FM2+ platform will be great, the differences in them is not too noticeable in all honesty. I personally like Asus as my best motherboard company but gigabyte's are also just as good an excellent choices that I like as well. Im actually going to grab that M-ITX Gigabyte I suggested to you later and build a steam machine with the new A10-7850k, so I think asus and gigabyte are both excellent companies.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably stick with the X4 760K and pick one of those motherboards you just linked me to. I'll get a separate WiFi card since there's no wifi built in but that's not a problem.

Thanks for the extended help! Good luck with that steam machine, should be different with that APU.

Appreciate the time you've put in,
~Jack

I like the X4 760K build better, IMO a smarter choice.
I didn't realize it but it really does seem like there aren't any suitable motherboards that have build in wifi!

I can't say I'd rather have Wifi bult into the motherboard. Although the built-in WiFi comes in the form of a mPCIe card and can be replaced. I still think I'd rather have a regular PCIe card.

I like the X4 760K build better, IMO a smarter choice.
I didn't realize it but it really does seem like there aren't any suitable motherboards that have build in wifi!

Yea so do I, my build has been changed, I'll be changing the links soon.

I can't say I'd rather have Wifi bult into the motherboard. Although the built-in WiFi comes in the form of a mPCIe card and can be replaced. I still think I'd rather have a regular PCIe card.

Same with me, I'm happy to stick with the Asus PCE-N15 Wifi card

I currently have the ASUS PCE-N13 and it has served me well. My previous card was the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G and it served me well for its time.

I've thought about getting boards with mPCIe card slots, but unless I'm building a HTPC or MiniITX PC, I really don't see the point unless XFire or SLI uses up all the card slot spaces. I'm happy with a single graphics card solution so I have room for other cards.

I currently have the ASUS PCE-N13 and it has served me well. My previous card was the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G and it served me well for its time.

I've thought about getting boards with mPCIe card slots, but unless I'm building a HTPC or MiniITX PC, I really don't see the point unless XFire or SLI uses up all the card slot spaces. I'm happy with a single graphics card solution so I have room for other cards.
Well I love having built in wifi these days on small machines because like you said it would save you some open slots. But if your on a normal desktop, it would not bother me either way though having that Mini slot is a cool bonus. Im actually building for a friend an A10-7850k Machine Friday once the parts are here and we went with the ASrock A88X Mini-ITX that has built in Wifi though im really curious how the setup is going to work with it because unlike gigabytes version, theres no hookup points on the Motherboard it instead uses long cables that stretch from the card to antenna.

What I would really love to do with my next complete build, is do a Micro-ATX machine that has Dual PCI-E 3.0 16 slots that will run at 16x with SLI/CFX running and have a 2 Dual GPU Cards in a small form factor with a small radiator setup and have Wifi built in so it could be portable. But I have yet to find a board that meets the criteria :(

Back