Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I will stay with Linux

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix86

So I know a guy who is convinced that Chrome is going to wipe the floor with Microsoft. He said that 93% of Windows users said they will switch. I doubt this. So let's see what the Techspot community has to say.

Do you really want to store EVERYTHING online? (boy will it suck when your router doesn't work or you go somewhere where there is no internet)

Do you really not want the option to choose the browser of your choice?

Are you prepared to throw out your current system just to build one to support Chrome OS? (bye-bye video games and possibly your photoshop and sony vegas programs and other ones like them)

Yes, Chrome has its good points. And I admit they almost make me want to switch.

Please feel free to have any discussions and debates...just try to keep it clean, We're all adults here (or at least we should be). And feel free to correct any mistakes I made in what I made Chrome out to be (not afraid to admit when i'm wrong).

If it would run nicely on my Acer Aspire One D250 I might consider it... All I do with that machine is chat, internet, and some office document editing. The office document editing would probably be the worst thing, Google Docs just isn't that comparable/compatible with what I do in MS Office 2007 (and 2008 Mac).

You know, I haven't actually used Google Docs yet. I've used Open Office and it's pretty nice (especially the one-click-PDF feature), but M$ Office just does more I guess. I'll have to try out Google Docs later on tonight just for the heck of it.

But I will say that the chances of me running running Chrome OS on my MSI Wind netbook are high (that is, if it'll run on it since Chrome OS is supposed to be hardware specific...meaning it probably won't run on my netbook...well see, lol). But even if I could put it on my netbook, i'd probably get rid of the XP partition and use that one for Chrome. But from what I've heard, Chrome is supposed to be more compatible with SSD and less so with HDD.

Google docs powerpoint is crappy...most of the time, textual stuff will be fine, most of the time.
Not worth it since I already have windows, now if I were dead broke...

At this point I don't see ANY operating system being more adopted than Windows no matter how good it may be, but I'm willing to give things a try so I will probably triple boot it if it comes in 64-bit. I mean Google is relatively new when compared to MS so I don't really see them rolling out a Windows killer on their first try when Windows has been in development for 25 years... respectively.

A guy i'm talking to said this to me:
"Every bank in California is already switching, along with most brokers, financial houses, i.e., all the big guys...the Federal government will be right behind them."

So far, I do not believe this as Chrome OS has not been released yet. Chromium has been, but does this guy really expect me to believe that those businesses are running a half-@ssed operating system that's still being worked on? Someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but this sounds like BS to me. Especially since the Chrome OS is supposed to be picky about hardware and supposedly has issues with hard drives. Now how can this guy tell me that Chrome OS has issues with hard drives, yet tell me that all these businesses are already switching to it? Once again, I smell some major BS.

Chrome OS is available here: http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/
I downloaded and installed it on VM a while ago, played with it for a while, but I see it useless to me.
All applications are strictly web based and it appears to me like just another browser with possibilities to run some programs from within.
For me: NO.

Thanks for the link. I knew about it, but after having had heard about some people making mock-ups of the OS and saying it was the real thing, I just stopped believing those links.

I still don't believe that those businesses have made the switch, though. You're from California, do you know of any businesses that made the switch as this guy claims?

I will probably dual-boot Chrome OS with Win XP on my eee 1000h. I think Chrome OS will be nice for schoolwork, and not much else. I'd never give up windows on my main rig for Chrome OS. That's not what It's built for, anyway.

You're from California, do you know of any businesses that made the switch as this guy claims?
Never heard of it.
It may be a good OS for some netbooks, which don't have too much hard drive space.
Other than that...I don't buy it...

Yeah, it sounds like a Google version of the iPhone OS.
It sounds more like applications on the WebOS platform as that OS only had HTML/CSS based applications at first. I has now caught up with the iPhone & its SDK offers native applications now.

Chrome OS is available here: http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/
I downloaded and installed it on VM a while ago, played with it for a while, but I see it useless to me.
All applications are strictly web based and it appears to me like just another browser with possibilities to run some programs from within.
For me: NO.

Thanks Broni for saying mostly what I have in mind about Chrome and others as well, especially google docs which is nothing more than a fad at best, hence completely worthless.

Anyway, the more important point is, google is just trying to muddy the waters, over the years I have been constantly reading the mantra of cloud computing (and other such solutions) but no one has really critically analyzed the proposition that can such corporations (ms/google etc.) be trusted with our personal data? My answer to this is strictly No, so Chrome OS is complete wastage of time and resources.

Much agreed Archean. Google has already gotten in trouble for this type of thing. Google and Microsoft can see what you're doing just from their browsers...now imagine an OS based solely off of a browser. We're going to go from worrying if they're seeing what we're doing, to worrying if we'll get caught doing something we aren't supposed to.
There are people who will argue "nah, they would never do such a thing. We can trust them".................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! People who say this obviously don't recognize the similarities between the ads that are thrown at them and the searches they make. But then again, when you have ad blockers installed, it's kind of hard to see it.

It's Linux based and yes it's UI is based on a browser. It's also aimed at netbooks not desktops or regular laptops. It would not be suitable for commercial use either.

See, this is what makes me think this guy is either a troll trying to make me mad (good luck with that), an *****, or a Google fanboi making up sh*t just to make me think that Google is so much better than everybody else.
Either way, I can definitely see Chrome OS replacing Windows on netbooks. Not only because it'll run better, but also because it'll bring them down in price even more, making them even more affordable for consumers. I'm a little weary about laptops seeing as most people I know do a lot more than just web browsing on their laptops. Why drop a grand on a laptop just to browse the web?

I'm probably going to use Chrome OS on my netbook a lot, but I don't see a reason for installing it on my main PC, apart from teh lulz.

The best OS' for netbooks at the moment are probably still Window XP or one of the netbook specific Linux distros. ChromeOS just seems like another gimmick. And once again bear in mind that google are in the adware business, and this is why the interface is entirely "web based", so if you value your privacy...

I remember back in 1992 when Windows 3.1 was going to be replaced by GeoWorks Pro. Never happen. I wrote a story for the Windows Magazine back then about the story. Still GeoWorks Pro OS was better but never caught on. These third-party OS just not going to make it. Since everything is Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office and Windows everything. Just not going change. Corp American Companies use Microsoft some us Apple OS and Linux, Unix Mainframe all in one scope. I never seen not of them try using anything else except for in-house software.

MS DOS, Windows 3.0, 95, 98, 2000, XP (Vista history), 7 this is how it is.. Good luck on those who like to be office model software testers of new OS.

OK, so I just tested out Chromium using Virtual Box (couldn't get it to work right in VMWare) and I gotta say...i'm unimpressed. It's pretty much what I thought it was...the Google Chrome browser with a fancier tab system. I hope the actual release will be better. I also took the time to try out Google Docs...unimpressed when compared to M$ Office.

I really wanted to like them both, but I just don't. I'm not being biased, I just didn't like what I saw of Chromium and things were much easier in M$ Office. There were a few things in Google Docs that were just annoying. But I guess everyone likes different things and what you do depends on which one you really need.

And I thought I read somewhere that they will bundle Open Office with it, so that would mean that you aren't saving all your work in a cloud (at least that's what I think, could be wrong). And i'm sure when you download files, they are also stored on your SSD (because that's what Chrome will require, an SSD). So it doesn't look like everything will be stored in the cloud. Like I said, though, I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me on that.

If the actual release is better than what I tried, then I wouldn't mind selling my current netbook and getting Chrome Netbook. But as for using it on a desktop, even Google said themselves they're going after netbooks first. So I doubt (like the guy said to me) that Chrome will dominate the market by mid to late 2011...if it even does at all.

CounterPunch is running an interesting insight about Google and Cloud by the way ;)

One may or may not agree with everything in it; but just to add another dimension I thought it should be mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back