Win 7 error E:\ is not a valid win32 application

Hodsocks

Every time I try to install a program from disc I get the above error, the only time I have an E drive is if my USB stick is plugged in. For some reason I assume its trying to install to the E drive rather than the C drive. I have a recollection that I have seen this before and the fix involves changing something in the registry but I don't remember what.
Can you guys refresh my memory?

Hi, Try plugging your USB flash stick back in, then in 'Computer' (if Vista/7) or 'My Computer' (if XP) , right-click on the E drive and choose 'Eject'.
That will tell Windows that the E drive is not available.
This problem can show up if you have tried to install a 16 bit program at some time in the past. (If I remember correctly !)

Hi, Ok, a few other things.... does your CD/DVD drive work normally when used for other reasons, eg, playing a DVD or a music CD? It could be the DVD drivers need updating/reinstalling. Worth doing I think. Windows may not be 'seeing' your DVD drive.
(Device manager, DVD drives, update driver software.)
This fault (not avalid Win32 app) is often created by trying to run a program off the stick that is not designed for your current O/S ( could be 64 bit or 16 bit etc ).
I'm trying not to recommend registry 'fixing' programs !!

Hi, Ok, It's a lot of work to reinstall Windows if you have a lot of other data installed too, but if it sorts out the 'install' problem then of course it's one way that certain to work, (assuming no other trouble.)

Back