Win 8 Total Meltdown

Hello!

Thank you in advance. I'm on a Win8 computer, which shut down totally just now. I tried to solve it without restarting, but it didn't work. Heck, when I did decide to restart, it took ages too. This is a pretty new computer as well. Any ideas or advice on what went wrong and what to do next time, would be VERY appreciated!

I've tried to document the symptoms:
  • Sudden connection drop. Hasn't been possible to reconnect or anything.
  • Some programs hanging and crashing.
  • No networks found. Not possible to restart network card.
  • Programs like Intel Wireless Pro not wanting to start.
  • Spikes in RAM, CPU and HDD performance.
  • Longer than usual time between switching users.

• "Radio switch device" crashes device manager if disabled, sometimes.ENE TECHNOLOGY INC. Windows also says it can't start this unit. Code 19.

• Wireless card doesn't activate, despite brief pop up which says it activated
  • Frozen, unclickable remains of some windows/programs, sometimes stay and continously block the view. Unmoveable.

• Disabling VirtualBox network plugin doesn't work. Crashes and its window stays unmoveable.
  • Keyboard shortcuts such as Windows key + R start to become unresponsive.
  • Network diagnoses, whether in general or on individual network cards turns up completely blank.
  • In device manager, the wireless card says it doesn't have any drivers installed. Yet there ARE apparent viewable driver files. Weird???
  • Tons of errors in a few services today, as per the Administrative logs. NvStreamSvc, DistributedCOM and Service Control Manager mostly. Warnings for DNS Client Events.
  • Restarting explore.exe doesn't help anything and the Windows 8 "Charms" don't work at all either on the user acc where this all started. But on the admin acc it does.
  • The bottom right network icon has the usual yellow triangle, but no charms menu appears if you click it. So you can't even check WiFi networks.

Win 8.1
i7-4710HQ 2.50Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 860M GPU
Used FireFox when it crashed.

THANK YOU !

Try booting into Safe Mode -> strike F8 once / sec until you get B&W vga
then select Last Known good config

Back