Win7 64 260gtx recognized as 295gtx?

I am having some serious head-ache troubles and I am at a stand still. I have done all of the following in different orders to no avail: disable/enable card, uninstall card/drivers, uninstall all nvidia folders(physx,drivers,etc), drivesweeper'd everything, reinstalled latest drivers. Also, I believe that the main problem was Windows 7 was detecting and installing the drivers and further delaying the problem, so I turned of automatic updates and installations. Yet, it still sees' it as a 295gtx even if it doesnt install any drivers.Finally, I obviously cant get any video from it and have to use on-board to navigate. Any thoughts out there that could diagnose the problem? Possibly card bios update needed? Thanks ahead of time for any information.

did you just get the video card and if you did, did you buy it used or new. If you didnt just buy the video card did you try to flash the bios.

I know this is basic but did you plug in the external PCI-E power connectors?

nothing physical

yes all connections are plugged in and no the above reply, I have owned this card for over a year. It just recently (this week) decided to be a 295gtx. I am going to reset the mobo bios and see what it does. Its strange though because I uninstall absolutely everything (in safe mode) and disable internet connection then reboot and immediately it states windows has installed drivers for 295gtx. Strange

If you uninstall drivers through the Device Manager, you can expect the same behavior each time, that is, Windows will automatically reinstall the same driver again and again. I wasn't clear to me from your post if you went to the Nvidia website to download the latest driver or which driver version you are using. Are you uninstalling the old driver from Programs and Features before installing a new driver?

Back