Win7 install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 7 will do it itself as all drivers are on the DVD upon installation and will be installed automatically.

Also, I have 465.8gb free space but install is looking for mb figures and I'm unsure of the conversion were I to partition.

You can try using Partition Wizard (freeware) partition manager to create partitions .....

You don't have to put precise percentage for each partition this depends on you and how you want to put it. Only thing is that for Windows Partition you put a reasonable size then other partition it don't mind at all this will depend on your usage and type of arrangement you want to do on your windows.

You may use Partition Wizard as Archean told you but you may use the Windows Program "Disk Management" to do it.

If I had hair I'd be pulling it out right now. I can't get Win7 installed on a brand new hdd. Once I get to the partition step it freezes up, restarts with an error box telling me it restarted and that I should restart to continue install. When I click ok it restarts either with the same message or goes to blue screen and then restarts to the same message. Proir to this install I downloaded the win7 advisor and after it scanned my system it cleared it for win7. I did attempt a restert repair which didn't work and I was told I had a hardware problem. A diagnostics scan also said I had a hardware problem so I put my old hdd with Vista on it back in and fired up. I went to device manager and went through everything and it all said "working properly." I'm stumped.

Why don't you put Win 7 on the old HDD in case of Windows Vista. You may try Dual boot also.

What started all this was trying to install over Vista. Install failed multiple times and finally told me I had to reinstall Vista to try a win7 install again. That's when I decided a fresh hdd and install were in order. Now that that's failed I'm not sure what to do. I put the old Vista hdd back in and I'm up and running with the same shutdowns and blue screen as before but at least I'm able to do some stuff.

Try the new HDD on another PC and try an install.

In case making a clean install over Vista try to make an upgrade form Vista to 7 on the old HDD with Vista.

Try both and let me know what happens.

I'll advise you to delete all partitions on your harddisk when you install the first OS; don't create any partition until the OS is fully installed and running, this will fix any partition related problems as well ....... (you can always create partitions with data on the harddisk without any hitch .....I've been doing this for ages without any problem) ..... let us know whether that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back