Win98 "no operating sys fnd". now in dos, wot now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobie1knobie

i have been given this sony vaio picturebook which said no operating system found when switched on. ive downloaded the win98 boot disk, and got to the 1.normal
2 (bootdisc)
3.safe mode..... etc
....page and now im in dos mode.its took me nearly a week to get this far on my own but now im stumped. i typed dir c, and got a list of stuff..command logo windows etc. 11 files + 5 dirs. if that helps. i think i need to run something called fdisk but im not to sure and i dont wont to mess it up completely. can anyone pls help?

Did the computer once work properly, or is this a new computer to you?
Do you have a Sony recovery disc set? If the computer is less than three years old, Sonly will sell you a set for under $40... but be patient in reaching them.
If an older machine, it is possible, or even likely, that your hard drive has gone bad and must be replaced. You can buy good hard drives for laptops cheaply nowadays on a number of online reseller sites.
Give us the exact model of your Sony from both the top and bottom of the case.

Gawd it's years since I have had to do this so forgive any ****-ups! If you have succeeded in installing DOS and you also have windows installed, you might just get it to run by typing win [enter] at the command prompt? If that works you need to add the command to the autoexec.bat file.
You could see if fdisk is on the drive by typing dir fdisk.exe /s at the command prompt - this will find it on the drive if it is there.
If you have the win98 boot disk on a floppy you will also need the win98 install CD as the correct boot disk installs the CD-ROM drivers so the CD based install routine can run.
If you have a bootable floppy it might have chkdsk on it - run this from the floppy as chkdsk c: to scan the hard drive for errors and maybe fix some too.

Then the next question is whether there are truly valuable file son the hard drive that you MUST retrieve.
If not, run FDisk and remove the partition. Then install a new partition.
Now reboot, and format the partition.
Then use the recover disk or the Windows Disc to install the version of Windows that you have.
After that, you must download and install any drivers that Windows did not automatically install, unless you have a supplemental disc of driver and applications that can be installed automatically.

AlbertLionheart said:
Gawd it's years since I have had to do this so forgive any ****-ups! If you have succeeded in installing DOS and you also have windows installed, you might just get it to run by typing win [enter] at the command prompt? If that works you need to add the command to the autoexec.bat file.
You could see if fdisk is on the drive by typing dir fdisk.exe /s at the command prompt - this will find it on the drive if it is there.
If you have the win98 boot disk on a floppy you will also need the win98 install CD as the correct boot disk installs the CD-ROM drivers so the CD based install routine can run.
If you have a bootable floppy it might have chkdsk on it - run this from the floppy as chkdsk c: to scan the hard drive for errors and maybe fix some too.

ive inserted the floppy disc and typed chkdsk. its says chkdsk has not checked this drive for errors, you must use scandisk to dtect and fix errors on this drive.

If there is no viable copy of windows on the system then you have to reinstall it from either a huge quantity of floppies or a single CD. I doubt if anyone has the floppies hanging around but if you ask about you might find a copy of the windows 98 CD. It is legal as you activate the software with the code on the underside of the laptop.
If you are in the UK I will send you a win98SE cd for Christmas - if you are not a Christian I will send it to you to celebrate any festival you like!

i appreciate your genorosity, ive just tried to run scandisk c: and a message came up saying

"scandisk is unable to check this drive coz there is no extended memory driver on your comp.
it also says to check this drive , make sure that you have a himem.sys file on the disk from which you are starting the comp.
then restart using the command prompt only.
depending on the location of himem.sys file you may need to add a linesuch as DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS OR
DEVICE= c:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS in the config.sys file on your boot drive."

is this worth trying?

AlbertLionHeart is correct.
You certainly need to reformat and reinstall, or Fdisk, reformat, and reinstall.
You may have the experience needed to repair the problems described, but you will learn a lot if you have a few days to work on it
If you install Windows 98SE after an FDisk, and a Reformat, your described problems will go away.

raybay said:
AlbertLionHeart is correct.
You certainly need to reformat and reinstall, or Fdisk, reformat, and reinstall.
You may have the experience needed to repair the problems described, but you will learn a lot if you have a few days to work on it
If you install Windows 98SE after an FDisk, and a Reformat, your described problems will go away.

so should i wait for the cd drive before i do anything else or run fdisk now an d reformat, then wait for the cd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back