Windows 10 Creators Update may force updates over metered connections

Jos

Staff

It’s generally advisable for most users to always install the latest operating system updates, but there are legitimate reasons why some people would prefer to do them manually instead of having them forced on their systems automatically — due to specific hardware configurations or legacy software that may break or cause conflicts, for example. In Windows 10 Home there’s no official way to prevent updates, but people could workaround this by marking their Wi-Fi connection as metered.

Microsoft has slightly tweaked this in the latest Windows Insider build (15058) so that it can still push critical updates, even if you’ve marked your Wi-Fi connection as metered. The text under Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update specifically notes: “We’ll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we’ll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.”

Microsoft told WinSuperSite that it doesn’t plan to send large updates over metered connections, but could use this for critical fixes if needed in the future. The Creators Update where this new policy is found is still pre-release software but given Microsoft’s response it’s unlikely this will change.

In a related charge coming with the Creators Update, the ability mark a wired connection as metered was added to the network connection settings as well.

Permalink to story.

Man. Someone in charge at MS is anal about being as up to date as possible as fast as possible.

Good thing, as a power user, I can "fix" these things lol
after this policy you need to find us a way to stop these updates for good

İf my laptop wasnt this new (it has no win 7 or 8.1 drivers ) iwould seriously downgrrade windows 10 was a disaster experiance for me still win 10 changes my power plan and have micro lags

The problem isn't with automatic updates, it's with forcing restarts.

I run an FM radio station off a Win10 PC and did the metered hack to prevent automatic updates because if the computer restarts, we're off the air.

What edition of Windows am I supposed to use that I have full control of?

I run an FM radio station off a Win10 PC and did the metered hack to prevent automatic updates because if the computer restarts, we're off the air.

ZorinOS :) jokes aside you should use Pro or Enterprise (for... Enterprises)

İf my laptop wasnt this new (it has no win 7 or 8.1 drivers ) iwould seriously downgrrade windows 10 was a disaster experiance for me still win 10 changes my power plan and have micro lags
Are you sure its Windows 10? I've had acer, hp, Asus, and Sony vaio software that mess with power settings for "best experience" and its normally those that do crap not win10 itself. Happens to me even with win7 and win8.1 with sucky software.

SIERRA!

Good for good ol' M$. There's nothing like running roughshod over everyone reminding them who's in charge. People tend to have short memories and forget rather quickly so a not too subtle reminder never goes amiss.

Few of those 'improvements' and Windows power users, together with their extended families and friends will be staying on 7/8 forever, and when without a choice, disable Win10 update/snoopin altogether. Then its gonna be cry and teeth grinding in Redmont. What would it take for a corpo like M$ or Google to actually start hearing consumers complaints and concerns?

Isn't it about time that the Federal Courts review that old Microsoft Monopoly ruling and follow through on their threat to break them up into smaller companies? Of course, if they do the same as they did with the AT&T Monopoly from back in the 70's, it won't last long enough to do us any good. Or maybe the government should declare it federal property and take it over ..... oh wait, we want it to get better and not cost triple ..... hmmmm
Of course, they could call it Trumpware .... but we've already go that with Microsoft lying to us so maybe this is indeed as good as it's ever going to get ...... sighhhhhhh

Isn't it about time that the Federal Courts review that old Microsoft Monopoly ruling and follow through on their threat to break them up into smaller companies? Of course, if they do the same as they did with the AT&T Monopoly from back in the 70's, it won't last long enough to do us any good. Or maybe the government should declare it federal property and take it over ..... oh wait, we want it to get better and not cost triple ..... hmmmm
Of course, they could call it Trumpware .... but we've already go that with Microsoft lying to us so maybe this is indeed as good as it's ever going to get ...... sighhhhhhh

Solution would be for Google to make an OS for a PC so that MS would have some competition. Yea, there is Unbutu and others, but none of them are really any competition for Windows. Google has the financial power to make an OS for PCs and give MS competition.

I`m sticking with my Windows 8.1. Heck, it works even with Zen/Kaby Lake, at this point I dont even care about security updates, good firewall/AV combo should do the trick and its not like they are (updates) all that regular, only few of them in a year.

W10 is a disaster, even switching to MacOS and Apple doesnt sound like bad idea.

Updates have become the number one reason why lots of people don't want to use 10 for all their computers. For instance you don't care much about updates for a computer used in the living room connected to the TV. I became fed up that it started the long update process at inopportune moments. So I looked for other options and found that it's much better to use Linux for this. You don't even need an anti-virus or worry about updates, just do it manually once a week. You don't have to buy expensive programs or pirate anything, because there are thousands of free software, including the popular ones like VLC, Kodi, Audacity, Chrome, Steam...
The only thing where it lack is if you need to use the best programs, like the Adobe Suite, Office, Final Cut... but anyway that's for your main PC.
Linux can also give a second life to very old computers and hardware. Lubuntu is great for any machine of the XP era or older.

Last edited:

scenario: two PCs, one PC broadcasting the FM station and the backup PC downloading/installing windows updates? the roles of the 2 PCs will be reversed next Microsoft patch Tuesday...
the only drawback to this method is if the FM broadcasting requires software/hardware that is specific to only 1 PC and deploying it to another PC would cost more money.

Solution would be for Google to make an OS for a PC so that MS would have some competition. Yea, there is Unbutu and others, but none of them are really any competition for Windows. Google has the financial power to make an OS for PCs and give MS competition.

Where you said 'Google' I think you meant Putin. Parallel spycraft training and about the same size budget for it.

Google does make ChromeOS... but honestly even if they made something similarly capable as Windows it still won't take over. Businesses, government, and schools still primarily use Windows because they have Active Directory. AD is a huge benefit for computer and user management in a business. Until someone makes a similarly powerful alternative to AD, M$ will always reign supreme in the business world. And because people are familiar with Windows since they use it at work, it s a comfortable decision to buy a Windows PC for personal use as well.

Google does make ChromeOS... but honestly even if they made something similarly capable as Windows it still won't take over. Businesses, government, and schools still primarily use Windows because they have Active Directory. AD is a huge benefit for computer and user management in a business. Until someone makes a similarly powerful alternative to AD, M$ will always reign supreme in the business world. And because people are familiar with Windows since they use it at work, it s a comfortable decision to buy a Windows PC for personal use as well.

This is very much the truth. In organizational development classes, one massive truth is inertia. The second is the cost of retraining.

Are you sure its Windows 10? I've had acer, hp, Asus, and Sony vaio software that mess with power settings for "best experience" and its normally those that do crap not win10 itself. Happens to me even with win7 and win8.1 with sucky software.

I have a clean install with drivers and some of the utilities like dragon gaming center which is capable of changing setting but I am using highest performance settings there so it shouldnt change it to balanced

Back