Windows 10 getting better update options, less surprise reboots

Julio Franco

Staff member

Running Windows 10? Did your machine reboot overnight without warning? Very annoying, I know. A few months ago, out of necessity I came up with the idea for a tech tip to help readers using Windows 10 fix this annoyance. To manage or at the very least prevent Windows from rebooting on its own every time it decided to update. Lately those updates have been less pervasive, but last year I felt like every other day I would go to my desktop only to find it was freshly rebooted without my consent.

That guide never happened, as it turns out, no matter what trick you pulled, Windows would override those settings and still reboot (especially on the Home edition). Certainly prompt OS updates are a desirable feature to have, however Microsoft's cut-throat approach to Windows Update was not limited to older machines getting prompted (or automatically updated) for the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Come next month with the Windows 10 Creators Update, there will be new options when a new update becomes available. An alert will show three options: to install and reboot right away, to schedule a time, or to snooze. The latter will defer the update for three days after which you'll get reminded again.

Windows 10 Pro had already added options to defer updates last year, however these required changes to Group Policy and were clearly aimed at managing enterprise environments. This new change in the Creators Update will apply to all Windows 10 editions.

Now, for those who need even more control. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise will receive additional update controls in the Settings app. These will allow to set policy-based deferrals to updates, that is without requiring Group Policy tweaks. For example, you may defer security updates by default for up to 30 days and feature updates can be pushed even further, to up to a year. The "active hours" setting will also be expanded from the current 12 hours to 18 hours, during which update restarts will not occur.

"Prior to the Creators Update, Windows 10 made most of the decisions for you regarding when updates would be installed and didn’t provide ways to tailor the timing to your specific needs. What we heard back most explicitly was that you want more control over when Windows 10 installs updates. We also heard that unexpected reboots are disruptive if they happen at the wrong time." said Microsoft’s Windows director of program management as part of the feature announcement.

Microsoft is also tweaking privacy settings in the upcoming update. We recently covered a lot of ground of what settings you should change in Windows 10 to make it more private, certainly the new options appear to be even more straightforward as shown in the screenshot below.

The upcoming Creators Update will also bring a new Unified Update Platform (UUP) for updates, which consists of differential downloads. When an update is available for your Windows 10 device, UUP will create a download package that only includes the changes since you last updated, instead of downloading an entire build. Microsoft expects this will lead to a 35 percent reduction in download size for major Windows updates.

The Creators Update is the second major update that Windows 10 receives and will deliver a number features and improvements to the operating system free of charge. The update will start to roll out in April.

Permalink to story.

For Christ's sake, why don't you just schedule one 15minute session on second Tuesday/Wednesday each month to actively pull those updates from MS and be done with it?
Instead you're whining about it and worrying about unintended reboots all the time!!!

For Christ's sake, why don't you just schedule one 15minute session on second Tuesday/Wednesday each month to actively pull those updates from MS and be done with it?
Instead you're whining about it and worrying about unintended reboots all the time!!!
Well, that's because none of us are as smart as you.

In fact, I'm so stupid I still run Windows 7 in 3 machines, and XP in 3 others. I win!!!!!

EDIT: Whoops, not enough exclamation points trailing "I win". Fixed...:p:cool:

Last edited:

@vincentyu: Not that you care, but my experience is that there is not a way to accomplish what you describe (imagine that, computers differ) so my home edition is at the mercy of MS regarding updates. It is not allowed to update during the 12 hours that I am using the computer (fail, apparently watching a vid does not equate to use, though at least they Now allow me to use My hours instead of their default 8a to 8p, a major improvement, if it worked).

So, just this morning, I am watching a netflix vid on their app, and need to refer back to a previous episode to remember a correlation. Boom, black screen, windows apparent crash. It rebooted 23 times varying from could not log-in - instant reboot, to getting back into netflix, open episode - reboot. This went on for 20 odd minutes until I decided to sit and stare at Process Explorer and see if I could determine what New problem Win10 was having (When I was allowed to actually start win10 without an inexplicable reboot complete with a few 'windows didn't start, what do you want to do?' and nonsense choices at That screen).

What did Process Explorer show me? That windows anti-malware engine was red-lining all cores, and it went on for 10 minutes doing apparently nothing. Then it stopped, and now I am allowed to use my computer again, I.e., no changes, nothing, now the computer operates as it usually does.
My humble, clueless guess? I got an unwanted, uncontrollable update. No doubt, in your opinion, because I am too Stupid to make the wonder-vironment perform half as well as my dozen Win7 environments do. I can Only guess, as Win10 offers Me no clue as to what was so important.

Glad yours works, and I trust that you are no where near a position that performs support for users, or deals with humans at all, in my evaluation. (geezus, I just can't stop feeding 'em..)

Last edited:
Well, that's because none of us are as smart as you.

In fact, I'm so stupid I still run Windows 7 in 3 machines, and XP in 3 others. I win!!!!!

EDIT: Whoops, not enough exclamation points trailing "I win". Fixed...:p:cool:

I don't think they have updates for XP's now, even Google doesn't support Chrome on XP now.
Can't u schedule 15min each month to go to windows update on those 3 win7 machines to do it and save the headache?

I don't think they have updates for XP's now, even Google doesn't support Chrome on XP now.
I'd call that a wash, since I'm not stupid enough to install Chrome in any of my machines either.

No, there are no longer updates for XP, and haven't been for a couple of years. But keep in mind, M$ dropped support for Vista, long before they dropped support for XP. Gives one pause to reflect, doesn't it? I remember Vista fondly, it was "the best Windows yet".
Can't u schedule 15min each month to go to windows update on those 3 win7 machines to do it and save the headache?
Oddly, Windows security begins with the browser, and ends with security software, not with Windows update. So, while you're worrying about getting Windows updates, I'm preoccupied with avoiding them. I can't honestly imagine "Windows Defender", does anything more than burn up clock cycles

I actually missed that "Get Windows 10 now" malware update, by simply reading what the update was supposed to do. "This update helps you get Windows 10". Gee, I better download and install that this very minute. Then I can join a forum and complain about the adware M$ is dumping on me. Or not.

At this point in space in time, M$ is pretty much updating Windows 10, to fix what they screwed up with their last build.

So, you're the one that's brainwashed, not me. "Oh my, my, my, the world is going to end if I don't update Windows the instant M$ tells me". Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Point being, I don't have a headache I need to avoid.

Not only that, but I can spell out "you", which is something "u" seem to have a bit of a problem doing. Basically, one of us has been betrayed by the public school system, and it wasn't me.

Last edited:
I've never rrally had a problem with windows uplate....I never leave my computer running all night in the first place to come back and find it has restarted? I mean, I guess I'm just a normal user cause I never experience these frustrations with windows restarting at random? *knock on wood*

Did you machine reboot overnight without warning?

Or the correct grammar would be....
Did (your) machine reboot overnight without warning?

Maybe proof read, before publishing???

I've never (rrally) had a problem with windows (uplate)....I never leave my computer running all night in the first place to come back and find it has restarted? I mean, I guess I'm just a normal user cause I never experience these frustrations with windows restarting at random? *knock on wood*

Sorry Poohbear, you too! (rrally and uplate) - REALLY, must have been Uplate when you wrote that!

Bull. I downloaded build 15048 and didn't hit restart. Went to the store to grab some beer(10 minutes) and the damn PC was installing the update as soon as I got back.

A turds a turd no matter how much you polish it, only saving grace is the directX 12 and man I cannot wait for Linux to pick the gaming slack, I don't know why they are lacking behind but it's 2017 and and am waiting since 2001.
sincerly, please for our sake just do it even if its 10%-20% behind in FPS am okay with that, just get it here already.

Not everyone has same usage scenario, I have had many times "svchost.exe" hoging bandwidth in mid league or dota session to really make me swear. I know I should turn that lock screen wallpaper off from windows spotlight but man I have tried to do that and it does not make a difference. every time I boot up windows process is up for good amount of time hogging bandwidth and I have 4 Mb/ps plan. I don't know whats its homing in about but enough already.

Back